CalArts VS UOregon in experimental computer music

salute

I got accepted to both schools' MFA in computer music/music technology program. They both gave me unofficial notices about scholarships and TA assistantships but I am not sure how much they are offering. Academically, they both are great schools in my field but I think CalArts have a better reputation in the fine art world in general.

UOregon told me that they are trying to offer me full scholarship and a higher paying TA position than a normal master degree TA and they are also considering give me a chance of teaching a class. Since I am an international student, I will be paying a higher tuition than instate students so these offering might still now be enough to cover all my expenses, but these can at least cover most of my needs and the opportunities they are offering also sounds fantastic.

On the other hand, CalArts did not give much information about how much scholarship they will be offering, but the professor told me that  I will have a TA position and a recording studio managing position for sure. CalArts is in a great location and is an art institute. It will be super easy to find a talented animator or film director or performer there to collaborate. Also, the weather in South California is the best!

I am struggling between these two schools right now. I had already been to Santa Clarita to visit CalArts and look for apartments but suddenly the professor at UOregon called me and told me all the opportunities they are offering. Anybody have any idea of how to choose between the two? I really appreciate it!

P.S. Will withdrawing one of my classes in my last semester affect the admission decision? (I will still be able to graduate with my two majors and my number of credits taken this semester will still be above the school's minimum requirement.)

Is your focus on composition/performance? I've heard of CalArts' program but didn't know that Oregon even has one but my focus is computer music research not comp/perf. If you are interesting in opportunities to collaborate like you said then CalArts sounds like the better option based on location. Eugene, OR is an awesome little college town but in a rather isolated location. If money is a big factor then it will be important to wait until you have both funding offers in writing so you can accurately compare them. Good luck with your decision, I know how hard it can be to make one.

I'd go with CalArts based solely on the issues UO is currently having with student privacy (abusing FERPA in a Title IX case with a rape victim). However, I do understand needing to make decisions on financial incentives as well so I agree with Intuit14 that you should wait until you have full details of both offers in hand before making a decision.

CalArts is notoriously stingy with their aid. Most people I know who applied for their MFAs got only 1/3 funding. When I applied for an MFA I got 1/2 funding and that was unheardof. 

That being said, if you want to establish yourself in the experimental music scene, CalArts is a great place to do it. Amazing faculty and connections to industry. I mean that's where Pixar got started. 

Edited by grad_wannabe

I got into the program at CalArts a few years ago and decided to go to a UC school instead partly because of funding. I asked CalArts if they could match my other offers and they said the most they could do was $10k. They're both great schools, though. CalArts has a bigger name but Oregon also has very interesting people (like Jeff Stolet).

Feel free to message me if you have questions. It's always nice to get to know other people in such a small field :)

I don't know anything about CalArts, but I'll throw some info in here about UO. I'm getting my Master's in Musicology at UO, entering my final term here in order to graduate in June. I have full funding with a Teaching Fellowship, and it's pretty decent. The pay isn't great, but the union for the GTFs is incredible. We have fabulous health insurance and great support, and our pay is increasing because of a hard battle fought at the bargaining table this year that awarded pay increases to meet the living wage for Eugene as well as a fund to provide assistance in case of hardship or childbirth. Eugene has a surprisingly active music scene for the size of the city, and Portland is just a two hour drive or train ride away, so if you need to get to a bigger city it's really manageable. I've really enjoyed my time at UO and in Eugene, and that's considering the fact that I decided two terms in that Musicology and academia was not the place for me in the long-term. But the music faculty is really high quality, and you'll definitely get a great education. The nice thing about getting a GTF position, other than the obvious perk of tuition being paid as well as a stipend for living, is it gives you two years of teaching experience. So if you do want to end up teaching, you have that in your back pocket just coming out of your degree.