getting off the waitlist

zd0943

Hey GradCafe folks, just wanted to get your insight on waitlists and navigating offers of admission now that results are rolling in. 

I applied to a few programs this year for enrollment in Fall 2015 with a sort of "just apply and see what happens/shoot for the stars" attitude. I've been accepted to one program so far, am waiting to hear on a couple others, and have been waitlisted at SIPA (whose name is the only one I mention only because it's my top choice). 

My letter said there isn't any need for me to submit anything else and that I should contact them if I don't want to be on the wait list. SIPAs FAQs pages indicate, however, that waitlisted applicants should write to admissions to confirm their interest in staying on the waitlist. 

And I did that pretty immediately after receiving the notification. Pretty simple note "I'm writing to confirm my interest in staying on the waitlist, thank you for considering my application, etc." I didn't want to bog them down with a long email as this is a busy time of year for them, and I figure the wait list won't really be sifted through until April/May, if at all, depending on enrollment yield. I also already have an offer elsewhere, and am happy to even be on a waitlist for an Ivy League institution. 

But now I wonder if the brevity and nonchalance of my note could be to my detriment? Do I write them in a month or so expressing that SIPA is a top choice and if accepted I would definitely attend? I also don't really want to be that annoying applicant who crowds the adcoms inbox. 

How have others dealt with waitlists? Anyone have any insight on the "behind the scenes"/internal decision-making processes these kinds of schools have when dealing with waitlists? 

Hey GradCafe folks, just wanted to get your insight on waitlists and navigating offers of admission now that results are rolling in. 

I applied to a few programs this year for enrollment in Fall 2015 with a sort of "just apply and see what happens/shoot for the stars" attitude. I've been accepted to one program so far, am waiting to hear on a couple others, and have been waitlisted at SIPA (whose name is the only one I mention only because it's my top choice). 

My letter said there isn't any need for me to submit anything else and that I should contact them if I don't want to be on the wait list. SIPAs FAQs pages indicate, however, that waitlisted applicants should write to admissions to confirm their interest in staying on the waitlist. 

And I did that pretty immediately after receiving the notification. Pretty simple note "I'm writing to confirm my interest in staying on the waitlist, thank you for considering my application, etc." I didn't want to bog them down with a long email as this is a busy time of year for them, and I figure the wait list won't really be sifted through until April/May, if at all, depending on enrollment yield. I also already have an offer elsewhere, and am happy to even be on a waitlist for an Ivy League institution. 

But now I wonder if the brevity and nonchalance of my note could be to my detriment? Do I write them in a month or so expressing that SIPA is a top choice and if accepted I would definitely attend? I also don't really want to be that annoying applicant who crowds the adcoms inbox. 

How have others dealt with waitlists? Anyone have any insight on the "behind the scenes"/internal decision-making processes these kinds of schools have when dealing with waitlists? 

That should be fine.  These people have been sifting through so many applications, SOPs, emails from other students, their own students' writing assignments, etc.  Brevity is welcomed, unless you left out important information.