Educational Psychology Questions

L83Ste

I graduated with a B. S. in Psychology. After looking around for graduate school programs in social/experimental psychology, I applied to some of those because of my research interests. I knew I was not the clinical/counseling. I also looked into research methods and statistics because I loved those courses. Eventually, I found a program with quite a bit of research methods, statistics, and other courses I was interested in such as learning and motivation. Looking back at my undergrad interests without any influence from instructors and their research, I found that I have always been interested in making education better, learning styles, test/math anxiety, social dynamics of the classroom, and finding out exactly how people learn. No one told me about Educational Psychology, but it seems that is exactly what I was interested in. I did find more interests in aesthetics research and would love to be able to apply this as well. I've come up with some ideas about researching aesthetics education (e.g., art and music programs) and how it affects the learning process. 

I looked into educational psychology and found that there is a course at my school that I never knew existed because it is listed as education rather than psychology. After speaking with an educational psychologist on campus he revealed that his job is primarily psychology--he even counsels! However, he claims it is a "turf" issue. 

I have had a rough time getting into the social programs I applied to because of interests not fitting and I'm sure other factors, but the educational psychology Ph.D. program to which I applied accepted me with a GA position, tuition waiver, and an extra $3,000 fellowship to boot. This is where I'm leaning at this time even though I haven't heard from a few places because it seems like maybe I should have been going this direction all along, but was not directed this way. My question for all of you is that I heard Ed Psychologists sometimes are not considered "real" psychologists. This whole field is new to me and I'm pretty sure it fits very well with what I want, but it's hard to break away from the plans that I have had for the past two years to go into social/experimental. 

Do any of you know much about this field? I'd like to teach at a college level, but also want the flexibility of working outside of a university just in case. 

Edited by L83Ste

If it's what you love and want to do, does it really matter if people say you aren't a 'real psychologist?'

Second of all, if you become an educational psychologist, you will be licensed, just like all of those other psychologists. You will be a real psychologist. You can open your own private practice or whatever it is that you want to do, just like those other psychologists.

Thank you. Yes, it really doesn't matter. It's just been a mindset I've had for over a year to be a social psychologist. Honestly, I think I would be happy in several different areas, but it seems like my behaviors are more indicative of educational psychologist. Considering I just learned about this a few months ago and applied and got accepted to a program, I'm just trying to let it all sink it. It's a five year commitment, plus an even longer career commitment. This might be a bad analogy, but it's like I just met the love of my life two months ago and I have to decide to get married soon. 

Either way, I think I'm going for it. When I found the program I was so excited for days because it fit so well with me. That SOP was the easiest one I had to write. 

Edited by L83Ste

Both my mentors have Ed.D. and are psychologists. They hold or have held positions in APA and AbPsi. One is a licensed Counseling Psychologist in the DMV area and both have taught for many many years in the psychology department at my university. Don't let others perceptions taint your reality. Enjoy you acceptance and go make it what it will be. Congratulations!!!!