Columbia vs LSE vs UCL - Human Rights

dyl_

Hi Everyone!

I've been accepted to do my Masters in Human Rights at Columbia, UCL and LSE. I am now faced with the extremely difficult decision of where to go. I'm not sure exactly what I want to do after my Masters - advocacy, research or policy are all possibilities. I do want to live in North America in the future, I don't plan on relocating permanently to the UK or elsewhere. 

Columbia is my top choice (close to family, NYC, prestige, opportunities in the city, etc) but I don't know if it's worth spending over $100,000 for a two year degree, when I can spend around $40,000 (cdn) for a one year degree in the UK. Will I get enough out of a Columbia degree to justify paying such a huge tuition? I'm from Canada and don't have any student debt. I have some financial support from family but would likely have to take out a loan if I cannot get scholarships/financial aid. 

I'd appreciate any advice that might help inform my decision!

Thanks!

Hey, I am in a similar situation, trying to decide between a UK and US school. I was also actually accepted to Columbia's Human Rights program too and though I was initially super excited (read all of Barkan's books as an undergrad) it was the only school not to offere any funding. I do want to specialize in Human rights/humanitarian intervention but will be pursuing the broader degree of IR.

As challenging as it is, I think the money really has to be a factor. Have you checked out what the monthly payments would be on a $100,000 loan? I've been looking at loans about half that and they're still a lot, especially for our field which doesn't promise very high paying jobs up front.

Overall, I think you can't make a wrong decision! They're all great schools and congrats for getting in !!