University of Utah

Hi everyone!

I haven't seen very many posts on here about people who applied to the University of Utah, however I did (and fortunately got accepted!!!! still regularly rereading the acceptance letter to make sure it's real) and I would love to connect with anyone else who is planning on attending. It seems like starting a facebook group is the thing to do ha so if there are any of you please post and we can get a group going! :)

I've been accepted to University of Utah as well, and I'm trying to choose between going there or U of Montana. Right now what I'm having a hard time getting over is the cost... I'm out of state and it looks a bit steeper than what I was hoping! The program looks wonderful, though, I'm so torn!

I'm also deciding between University of Utah and another school (University of Arizona). I can't help but thinking that the decision of where to go is just as hard as waiting for acceptances. 

(Also, Mia6714, based on where you applied, I think we should be friends. I went to BYU for my undergrad and am currently living in Portland).

University Utah is beautiful. Salt Lake is quite liberal. The new Portland they say. I studied at the U for awhile and dream of doing my PhD there one day. I've never been to U Montana, although I hear it's also beautiful. Salt Lake has great public transit, ranked 3rd in the country. You can live near campus or a good bus/train stop and go without a car for the entirety of your studies. That should save you some dough, and you should seriously consider it. Living without a car is not as hard as it might seem. And it's good for Pachamama. 

Edited by selbstverteidigung

I'm also deciding between University of Utah and another school (University of Arizona). I can't help but thinking that the decision of where to go is just as hard as waiting for acceptances. 

(Also, Mia6714, based on where you applied, I think we should be friends. I went to BYU for my undergrad and am currently living in Portland).

I would love to be friends, especially if you end up going to the U! :) My husband and I love the PNW but it looks like it's just not meant to be as far as grad school... I mean I still haven't heard from Western Washington but everything is working out so well for us to stay in Utah that I don't think it matters what they tell me ha. (Okay if they offered me a full tuition scholarship or something then sure but the chances of that are basically nonexistent). The U has such an amazing program and my husband thinks he has a really good internship lined up with a law firm in SLC so we will happily stay in Utah for at least two more years. 

Hi! I am planning on attending University of Utah also.... although out of state tuition is pretty pricey. Unless I get funding elsewhere... I will be there!

That's great! I love that I'm finally getting in touch w a few people who are planning or at least considering going to the U. Should we start a facebook group? 

Hi! I am planning on attending University of Utah also.... although out of state tuition is pretty pricey. Unless I get funding elsewhere... I will be there!

Out of state tuition is super expensive at the U. I just emailed them to find out if I qualify as a resident since I did my undergrad in Utah and have lived here for five years. If I don't I'll definitely turn it down. I'm leaning towards some of my other offers but I wouldn't mind going to look around. They haven't scheduled an open house yet I guess.

Out of state tuition is super expensive at the U. I just emailed them to find out if I qualify as a resident since I did my undergrad in Utah and have lived here for five years. If I don't I'll definitely turn it down. I'm leaning towards some of my other offers but I wouldn't mind going to look around. They haven't scheduled an open house yet I guess.

Of course you qualify as a resident. As long as you're not a dependent. The University of Utah lets you claim residency even if you're a student, as long as you do things like get a Utah license, vote in local elections, etc. Many universities have policies against granting students residency after 1 year, but the U is not one of them.

Of course you qualify as a resident. As long as you're not a dependent. The University of Utah lets you claim residency even if you're a student, as long as you do things like get a Utah license, vote in local elections, etc. Many universities have policies against granting students residency after 1 year, but the U is not one of them.

Good to know. I've assumed I would qualify but figured I needed to double-check. Utah even as a resident isn't that much cheaper than some of the out of state costs for my other schools oddly enough.

Yes, I agree. Five years is plenty of time! You would just need to switch your drivers license. Good to double check with the school because the out of state tuition is really expensive... honestly even the in state tuition feels expensive at any grad school to me ha. Although the hubs is just finishing up grad school this spring and we already have his loans so more on top of it isn't ideal but I know once we are both into our careers we will pay it off quickly. Hopefully he gets a good enough job that we don't have to take out any loans for me but we'll see how everything turns out. 

I am really excited to move to Salt Lake City and meet everyone this fall! We should most definitely start a facebook group!!!

SLC is a great city to live in. Gorgeous mountains with a so many outdoorsy opportunities if you like hiking, camping, skiing, biking, photography, etc. Plus the cost of living is relatively low, it's a safe city, and I could probably go on and on about why it's great ha but anyway I'll stop. I'm excited to meet everyone. Yes please start a facebook group! I would but my current job doesn't know I'm planning on going to grad school yet and I have work friends and if I started a group I think it might show up in my news feed.... and I need to work at the job all summer to save up so I really don't want my boss finding out yet ha.

• 2 weeks later...

For the those of you who accepted- any particular reason why you chose Utah? I'm desperately looking for any info or advice as I'm unbelievably torn and there's only a week left before the decision is due! I heard that Utah has a more "medical" field focus, can anyone verify that? Has anyone visited the school? Anything that stood out to you about the program? I live in Colorado and it's just too far for me to make the open house tomorrow... the other issue is the out of state cost is way high, so I'm really looking for anything that might make Utah shine over another, much cheaper program I was accepted to. The other problem is that when I emailed the department, they said assistantships aren't usually decided on until after the 15th.

Wow I'm rambling- if anyone can provide any info or impressions I'd so appreciate it... I'm feeling at this point like I'm going to be picking my school from a hat or something, it's too hard!!

For the those of you who accepted- any particular reason why you chose Utah? I'm desperately looking for any info or advice as I'm unbelievably torn and there's only a week left before the decision is due! I heard that Utah has a more "medical" field focus, can anyone verify that? Has anyone visited the school? Anything that stood out to you about the program? I live in Colorado and it's just too far for me to make the open house tomorrow... the other issue is the out of state cost is way high, so I'm really looking for anything that might make Utah shine over another, much cheaper program I was accepted to. The other problem is that when I emailed the department, they said assistantships aren't usually decided on until after the 15th.

Wow I'm rambling- if anyone can provide any info or impressions I'd so appreciate it... I'm feeling at this point like I'm going to be picking my school from a hat or something, it's too hard!!

What program were you admitted to? 

Yep! You are right, Utah is a "medicine" oriented school, but it has great game development, CS and ECE programs. Focusing on my field- ECE- Utah's THE best when it comes to asynchronous VLSI. The coursework is designed to cater the needs of the modern semiconductor industry while the professors are undertaking some really good research projects, which have been acclaimed world wide. Utah's got a good international ranking (at least it is in the top 100), and is greatly underrated- so say the seniors whom I've contacted. 

It seems like a really good program! I wish we had gotten a tour but the campus and building looked nice on the outside. They have opportunities for externships at local hospitals but they are a little competitive to get. It was ranked 6 out of 300 by some academic analytics company a few years back. They have lots of faculty and they have expertise in almost every part of the field. If you want to try for a GA or other position you can apply but it all depends on funding which is unknown yet. If I can think of other things I'll let you know. I qualified for in state tuition so there's a good chance i might end up there but it's definitely expensive otherwise.

Thanks for the advice! It was a tough decision, considering the out of state tuition, but I've accepted the spot at Utah! I think the school has such great stuff going on it was too good to pass up- I really feel like we'll be well rounded clinicians by the time it's all said and done. A cursory glance on FB didn't show a group for the 2015-17 cohort so if I don't find one here soon I'll start one up and post the link to the FB thread. Congrats everyone- can't wait to meet you in August!