Rush vs Northwestern

I'm trying to decide between Rush and Northwestern and I'm very conflicted. I'm interested in the medical side of speech which draws me to Rush. Also, the Rush program includes 6 placements, is much smaller and had a more personal feel. My main concern about Rush is the stress level. I'm prone to stress and I know that both programs will be difficult. I'm accustomed to working hard but everyone seems to comment about the rigor of the Rush program. In addition, Rush has a comprehensive oral exam between quarters 7 and 8. Scary!

I'm drawn to Northwestern mainly because of it's reputation. Although difficult, I get the impression that it is less rigorous than Rush. I know that I will get a great education at either school but I would appreciate any insight into the quality of life for students in each program.

Is Rush 8 quarters? Northwestern is going down to 7 which is definitely a plus for me. Rush is a little less expensive than Northwestern though. I initially got the impression Northwestern was more school based, but after going there for an orientation it seemed like you could make the program what you wanted it to be through electives, independent studies, and placements. Also, Lurie Children's Hospital has a CFY internship and apparently in the last five years, all the CFYs have been Northwestern grads. Northwestern doesn't have a comprehensive exam either.

I do know Rush is 7 quarters and less expensive then Rush.  Also, Rush has a much smaller class size (24-27), while Northwestern has about 50.  Although, Northwestern is a name known across the country.

I am also debating this!! Such a tough choice.

Rush would be a great preparation for the real world! It's a hospital first and a university second, so it would be a bit hectic around the clinic but that could be a great thing! I was very impressed with the variety of the clinical faculty. It does have a rough class schedule, 15-17 credit hours per quarter!! I also don't like that there's not really a space just for the speech path students, you have to fight for study space with the other students there. Again, replicates the real world.

Northwestern is so hard to turn down simply because of its reputation. It's always been a dream for me. However, it's so so expensive I feel like I can't go unless given a scholarship. A professor I trust also told me to be carful of Northwestern because they just lost a bunch of faculty members..yikes!!

Edited by rcora8

I hadn't heard about faculty leaving Northwestern. Interesting. I wonder why? Northwestern has always been my dream school too, but I was so impressed by the Rush Open House that I changed my mind. It's hard to turn down Northwestern though. If I'm lucky enough to get a scholarship, I'll really be confused.

A family member went to Rush.  About 1/2 of family member's class failed the oral comprehensive exams first time through. One hour, four questions (no, you don't know what they will be ahead of time)...yikes!!

Also, family member was stressed out ALL. THE. TIME.  I'm currently attending a different program and feel nowhere near the amount of stress that my family member (and majority of family member's classmates) did.

That said, if you someday want a job in a hospital in the Chicago area, you'll have connections up the wazoo.

A family member went to Rush.  About 1/2 of family member's class failed the oral comprehensive exams first time through. One hour, four questions (no, you don't know what they will be ahead of time)...yikes!!

Also, family member was stressed out ALL. THE. TIME.  I'm currently attending a different program and feel nowhere near the amount of stress that my family member (and majority of family member's classmates) did.

That said, if you someday want a job in a hospital in the Chicago area, you'll have connections up the wazoo.

How recent did your family member attend?

I'm told that they don't let anyone fail the comps on their second try. Still crazy stressful! Is your family member happy now that he/she chose Rush? Did she encourage you to go elsewhere? What program did you choose? (If you don't mind me asking).

I'm told that they don't let anyone fail the comps on their second try.

That's not true.  I know for a fact that someone in my family member's class failed the second time and had to go an extra semester.

Is your family member happy now that he/she chose Rush? Did she encourage you to go elsewhere? What program did you choose? (If you don't mind me asking).

My family member is grateful for all of the medical experience (definitely helped getting a job in the medical field), but has told me that they would choose somewhere else if they were going to do it again.  This is in part due to the stress level but also due to finances as Rush is a fairly expensive program and they will now be paying back loans for a long time.  

I, personally, didn't even consider Rush because I'm not really interested in the medical side of SLP.  However, my family member's warnings about finances helped me make the decision to forego expensive schools (I was also accepted to Northwestern, loved it, but couldn't justify the $$$) and decide to go to a smaller state school in Illinois that gave me a graduate assistantship (full tuition waiver + stipend).  

I'm very happy with my decision and love my school, but I know that a school like Rush is the best option for some.  I don't think it's a bad school, I just don't think it was the best fit for my family member (who is an extreme perfectionist and doesn't handle stress well).  Best of luck making your decision!

Edited by sayjo

• 8 months later...

Hi! I'm currently a Rush grad student, and I would NOT NOT NOT NOT recommend this program! I repeat, NOT! I also wouldn't pay for Northwestern, it's not worth it, you'll get the same job elsewhere. But Rush is stressful like crazy, and there is just no need. They try to cram in so much into each class, that you walk out barely understanding anything. Some teachers are truly horrible, but are still there because of tenure. I just would never recommend it and I feel so bad for people who are just starting out. These have been some stressful quarters to say the least, and I don't know how I've survived thus far. Just don't. 

I am also a current graduate student at Rush, and I completely disagree with Bunnyhopper, so much so that I created an account to respond.  Rush is difficult, as every graduate program should be, but I don't believe it's unmanageable or debilitatingly stressful.  I truly believe that this would stand true for  any program-- if you stay on top of your work and readings, and participate in class discussions, you will learn a lot and succeed.  What you put into graduate school, you get out of it.  I believe the comprehensive and all encompassing coursework and clinical experiences at Rush make it one of the top graduate schools in the nation. Every single graduate professor at Rush is extremely intelligent and cares about their students.   They always make themselves available for students who are struggling, or otherwise want to chat.  Most faculty are also highly renowned in the field.  I feel that I will leave Rush an extremely proficient SLP in all scopes of the practice. 

When choosing a graduate school, I would advise trying to find a variety of students to talk to from the programs you are interested in.  While I respect their opinion, and feel bad that they are struggling, I know most of the students in my class at Rush would not agree with Bunnyhopper.  If you are trying to choose between Northwestern and Rush, go to both of their open houses! See their facilities and hear from their faculty (and students) first hand.  But also know your limits.  If you are the type of person who may not do well with a jam-packed 10-week quarter, Rush may not be the school for you.