University of Iowa v. Home State

I have been trying to decide which school I want to attend in the fall. I feel like I have looked at all of my options inside and out, and I am still not sure what my best course of action is. I think I have limited it to two schools. Those schools are the University of Iowa and a university in my home state (also my undergraduate school).

Some background information: I plan to do a master's thesis wherever I end up going because I want to get my PhD after getting my CCCs and working for a few years. My biggest research interest is in aphasia. I am graduating without undergraduate debt.

At the University of Iowa, I would have access to research in aphasia AND clinical work that includes people with aphasia. The catch is the tremendous amount of loans it would take in order for me to afford to go there. At this point I would probably have to take out loans for the entire 2 years, including some for living expenses(This is assuming I do not receive any help for the entire time, but I am thinking of the worst case scenario here.). Iowa would also offer me the chance to take more classes in areas of interest and work with a very diverse set of clients.

On the other hand, my home state school would not only be very affordable, but I have been offered a graduate assistantship and scholarships that would make attending nearly free. This school does not have access to aphasia research, and chances are I would not be able to work with clients with aphasia until my last semester (in my medical externship placement). There is access to research on TBIs, which is a secondary interest of mine. This program also do not have a PhD program. I have been advised that if I want to get my PhD after graduating from this program, I would likely get in and be able to do it, but I am unsure how PhD programs would look at a degree from this institution and the lack of research in my area of interest.

I am torn. I don't know which program would be better for my long term interests. Graduating from the University of Iowa would obviously be awesome, but being able to graduate without debt sounds awesome, too. Does anyone have any advice pertaining specifically to this situation?

Edited by BS2015

I am in the same situation! I keep going over and over to make sure I'm making the right decision. I'm debating between my instate undergrad Program vs nebraska which is a great research Program and offer much more opportunities! I'm also so torn :( but it sucks because I'm terrified of the amount of loans I would also need because of out of state tuition. I mean I'm not a 100% sure I would go for a PhD but I wouldn't rule it out and would like to have that option. My professor said attending a very good Program like that would make me a great candidate for PhD programs and it wouldn't be as hard to get into a Program. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue :/ it is such a hard choice!

I am in the same situation! I keep going over and over to make sure I'm making the right decision. I'm debating between my instate undergrad Program vs nebraska which is a great research Program and offer much more opportunities! I'm also so torn :( but it sucks because I'm terrified of the amount of loans I would also need because of out of state tuition. I mean I'm not a 100% sure I would go for a PhD but I wouldn't rule it out and would like to have that option. My professor said attending a very good Program like that would make me a great candidate for PhD programs and it wouldn't be as hard to get into a Program. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue :/ it is such a hard choice!

Why did you apply to UNL and no other universities in New Mexico? Do you have a particular interest in UNL or someone there? Do you know whether you can claim residency in Nebraska as a student after 1 year? Some universities have policies against this, but many do not. Find out every university's reclassification policy before making your final decision; you may be able to qualify for instate tuition after 1 year. 

I have been trying to decide which school I want to attend in the fall. I feel like I have looked at all of my options inside and out, and I am still not sure what my best course of action is. I think I have limited it to two schools. Those schools are the University of Iowa and a university in my home state (also my undergraduate school).

Some background information: I plan to do a master's thesis wherever I end up going because I want to get my PhD after getting my CCCs and working for a few years. My biggest research interest is in aphasia. I am graduating without undergraduate debt.

At the University of Iowa, I would have access to research in aphasia AND clinical work that includes people with aphasia. The catch is the tremendous amount of loans it would take in order for me to afford to go there. At this point I would probably have to take out loans for the entire 2 years, including some for living expenses(This is assuming I do not receive any help for the entire time, but I am thinking of the worst case scenario here.). Iowa would also offer me the chance to take more classes in areas of interest and work with a very diverse set of clients.

On the other hand, my home state school would not only be very affordable, but I have been offered a graduate assistantship and scholarships that would make attending nearly free. This school does not have access to aphasia research, and chances are I would not be able to work with clients with aphasia until my last semester (in my medical externship placement). There is access to research on TBIs, which is a secondary interest of mine. This program also do not have a PhD program. I have been advised that if I want to get my PhD after graduating from this program, I would likely get in and be able to do it, but I am unsure how PhD programs would look at a degree from this institution and the lack of research in my area of interest.

I am torn. I don't know which program would be better for my long term interests. Graduating from the University of Iowa would obviously be awesome, but being able to graduate without debt sounds awesome, too. Does anyone have any advice pertaining specifically to this situation?

Having a graduate assistantship is key. You have to have an avenue for doing research before you do research. If you do not know whether someone at Iowa would like to work with you, I'm not sure that it would be worth giving up the graduate assistantship and scholarship at another university. Also, the graduate assistantship is a way in. You're allowed to have more than one area of interest, and I don't think it would be an issue if you work on TBI during your Masters. As long as you are well read, and you can become that through self-study, I'm pretty sure you can research whatever you want at the PhD level. Your CFY also might be a good opportunity to do more with Aphasia before you move on to the PhD. I wouldn't give up the graduate assistantship even though it doesn't have a  doctorate option, but that's just me. 

Your master's program not having a PhD program is unimportant. Would you be able to do a master's thesis? What makes you so certain regarding your interest area? I ask this in a respectful way. Most graduate students - including those in PhD programs - change their "interest" area several times over. PhD admissions are not like master's admissions. You find a mentor. Do you have a potential mentor at Iowa?

Respectfully, I disagree that not having a PhD program is unimportant. It certainly may not be a deal breaker, and you probably will be able to get into a PhD program without a going to a masters program that also has a PhD program, but it having a PhD program can have certain benefits (broader range of research opportunities, greater program quality not necessarily from a clinical perspective but from a research perspective especially for one who wants to pursue a PhD later on), so while it may not be a HUGE factor, it deserves at least some consideration. I am contemplating a pursuing a PhD (not completely decided, but leaning towards it). I also had to option of going to a much cheaper school if not free program versus a more expensive school with more research going on. In the end, I chose the more expensive school. I will try my hardest to get a graduate assistantship through the department or another if I can, but if not I will take out loans. I completely see how this might not be the right options for many people, but I felt like for me given the factors in play for me it was the right choice.   

Respectfully, I disagree that not having a PhD program is unimportant. It certainly may not be a deal breaker, and you probably will be able to get into a PhD program without a going to a masters program that also has a PhD program, but it having a PhD program can have certain benefits (broader range of research opportunities, greater program quality not necessarily from a clinical perspective but from a research perspective especially for one who wants to pursue a PhD later on), so while it may not be a HUGE factor, it deserves at least some consideration. I am contemplating a pursuing a PhD (not completely decided, but leaning towards it). I also had to option of going to a much cheaper school if not free program versus a more expensive school with more research going on. In the end, I chose the more expensive school. I will try my hardest to get a graduate assistantship through the department or another if I can, but if not I will take out loans. I completely see how this might not be the right options for many people, but I felt like for me given the factors in play for me it was the right choice.   

Do you know this from experience?

Do you know this from experience?

Nope, haven't been to graduate school so can't speak from personal experience. This is coming from several family members who are professors in various fields, including one in SLP.

Just to reiterate, I am not saying at all that masters PhD programs are superior to those without. All I am saying is, if one has a choice between two programs: one with and one without a PhD program AND is contemplating pursuing a PhD later, it is not a factor that should simply be ignored. I do agree that just knowing whether or not a program has a PhD program is pretty useless in itself. However, it is quite important when researching the program and should color the way one asks questions about it. For example, from everyone I have talked to in multiple fields the general consensus seems to be that departments with PhD programs TEND but, of course, do not always have more research going on, more fulltime (not adjunct) professors, a higher reputation, etc. These factors could be completely unimportant to someone who does not want to pursue a degree beyond a masters but can be very important to one who does and therefore should be looking into. If after one asks about these factors and finds them to be either untrue, not sufficient to outweigh the pros of the other school, or not relevant to their personal interest, then by all means choose the other school, but I feel that it is good to know all the same.  

One final comment. The family member who is a professor in an SLP program (lower ranked with no masters program) told me that over the years she has had many students apply to PhD programs. Some were successful and some were not. So it is entirely possible to be accepted into a PhD program without attending a school that has a PhD program. However, she also added that she felt like many of the students who did not get accepted deserved to be accepted and that the admissions committees were biased against them due to the low ranking program from which they came. Just food for thought.

I am certainly not an expert and hope I haven't offended anyone. I just wanted to jump in because I felt like I was in a similar position as the original poster and wanted to add my two cents. 

Good points made by the above posters. I should have used a different word - "unimportant" may have been too dismissive. My intention was to suggest that it may not matter. Generally speaking, the largest factor of admission for PhD programs is research experience. If you can do this at your master's-only program, then you could very well be just fine. Arguably, a program with a PhD carries more prestige and possibly greater options. I just don't think it should be the focus of your decision-making process. Maybe it would be helpful to think of what training experiences each university offers in more specific terms.

I didn't really like the other universities in my state. And yes I applied to UNL since the professors expertise really aligned with my interests and they have great research and labs you can participate in, but even with assistant ships it will still be more expensive than my instate school. I didn't really receive any funding so there is no guarantee I can still get any. And I don't know about that one year residency thing I haven't really thought to ask but it is a good question! But I have no idea if I will be pursuing my PhD it was just an idea so that is kind of making me lean towards the in state school, if you want your PhD it is better to go to the better school even though it is pricier, , my professor said that once you reach the PhD level you will/can get guaranteed funding. But good luck with your decision I definitely understand it is very important to weigh all the pros and cons of each option you have.

I didn't really like the other universities in my state. And yes I applied to UNL since the professors expertise really aligned with my interests and they have great research and labs you can participate in, but even with assistant ships it will still be more expensive than my instate school. I didn't really receive any funding so there is no guarantee I can still get any. And I don't know about that one year residency thing I haven't really thought to ask but it is a good question! But I have no idea if I will be pursuing my PhD it was just an idea so that is kind of making me lean towards the in state school, if you want your PhD it is better to go to the better school even though it is pricier, , my professor said that once you reach the PhD level you will/can get guaranteed funding. But good luck with your decision I definitely understand it is very important to weigh all the pros and cons of each option you have.

Can you do a Masters Thesis at NMSU? I am excited to go to NSU, but as far as I know, they do not have a thesis option. I would be interested what if any research options there are as a student there. Its multicultural location guarantees that you will work with culturally and linguistically diverse clients during your studies, which is the selling point for me. There is placement at the Cherokee immersion school nearby. I may regret later not going where I'd be be able to write and defend a thesis or research project, but right now, I'm really conscious of cost and the population I want to work with, and it's no guarantee I'll even want to do a PhD. First get some taste of graduate school, then form other goals I think.

@ bettercallsaul I think you make a good point. I think I am choosing my instate school there are many opportunities here too! Glad to hear you have so many things you like about your future Program! But you're right the goal right now is become an SLP who knows grad school might not make me want to go for a PhD and I will have much less debt so that is great!

Also, as someone who has been to grad school before, maybe my experience will resonate with someone. I had the choice between studying at two schools, and my father talked me into going to one because of the university's reputation, although I really preferred going to the other. I was uncomfortable with the cost before going, and I never really got comfortable with it, which really interfered with my success. In the end, I withdrew because I could never shake off how much more it was going to cost to stay in a program that I wasn't that happy with. I don't need to go in detail, but the lesson I learned was to listen to yourself–as silly as that may sound–because you know best. Also, graduate school isn't all it's made out to be. It's less about developing your own creativity or critical thinking than it is about how well you can follow instruction and be an apprentice to someone who doesn't just guide your research, they determine it. That's an unfortunate reality of graduate school that many people become frustrated with. In undergraduate, I felt encouraged to think independently for myself, but the tragedy of grad school is there is more of "this is the way things are, so it's best for you to stop thinking–you really don't have time for that." In the end, I have to say, if you want to be innovative, it's best to stay away from graduate school. But it's also something you have to experience for yourself; but if at any point you begin to feel disillusioned, don't worry–you're not the only one! Unfortunately, it's more the norm than not. 

Edited by bettercallsaul

Hey you guys! I would really appreciate some insight as well. I'm in the same boat. I have been offered a full-tuition graduate assistantship plus a stipend at an instate school, but my family and friends all live in Arizona, and I'm ready for a change of pace. I keep imagining that I will regret spending almost 50k total on the out of state school, but I also absolutely love the program. I guess my question boils down to this: Do you think I will regret going to a free program that I don't prefer, or a pricey program that I am excited about? Thanks!

Hey you guys! I would really appreciate some insight as well. I'm in the same boat. I have been offered a full-tuition graduate assistantship plus a stipend at an instate school, but my family and friends all live in Arizona, and I'm ready for a change of pace. I keep imagining that I will regret spending almost 50k total on the out of state school, but I also absolutely love the program. I guess my question boils down to this: Do you think I will regret going to a free program that I don't prefer, or a pricey program that I am excited about? Thanks!

I kinda know the feeling. Somewhere else would be an adventure! A change! That was what was keeping me from automatically accepting the cheapest option. I would consider what facets of the program do you really like and are they much different from the one you don't like. Are the class options much different? The placement opportunities? Faculty you'd rather work with? I realized this week that the placement options are what mattered most - and the cost. I'm going with a school that I can have 1-2 semesters of externship anywhere in the country. While I'm not making the big cross-country change like I've been hoping, I'll have very little debt in the end and in two years, I can hunt for jobs wherever I'd rather be and have a nicer apartment. I probably sound super biased right now towards the cheaper school, but I have a brother with over 100K he owes in loans from undergrad and grad school. He has to have a good job to keep paying the loans and his cost of living is super high. He's gonna be paying them for 25 years. If you go that route, just have your eyes open and if you think you can handle it, maybe work a few hours a week to help curb the cost. Good luck on your decision! I think you can make the best of whichever school you choose.