Current grads:credit load per semester?

I know for grad school full time is 9 credits, but do most people have more than that each semester? Would having 9 credits and 3 credits of clinc (12 total) seem unreasonable/overwhelming based on your experiences?

I want to finish my program in 2 years (I have to take a couple undergrad courses since I'm going to a different university than where I did my undergrad) which would require me to have 12 credits every semester. I suggested this to my graduate advisor and she said I could do it but that I might be overwhelmed. What are your thoughts/experiences?  I feel like I could do it based on my motivation and past success, but I don't want to get myself in over my head. Thanks for the help!

I can not speak to your personal ability to handle work loads. It definitely varies by person. Some are great at having a packed schedule (staying busy keeps them from letting their mind wander), while others would be too overwhelmed.When deciding, I would also take into account the type of classes (demands of the class and your strength in that subject), as well as any other obligations you have in addition to class (clubs, work, assistantships, etc). Some schools will have set courses and lay out most/all semesters. Some schools will recommend students take this many units per semester as a typical work load. Other schools may have no set guidelines. See what past students or the faculty think in regards to how students in the past have handled the work load. If you are not working, have limited outside school obligations, and can handle the prospect of added stress then 1 or 2 heavy semesters might work. My school has 12-14 units (including internal and external placements) during many of the semesters, and then it depends on the electives the student takes. I am not going to lie though, it can get very overwhelming! Good luck!

A lot of the schools I've looked at typically set ~12 credits per semester, as in 4 classes. I think most hover around the 9-13 range until graduation. UVA goes anywhere from 10-18 credits depending on the semester and that includes practicum. I think no matter what you'll be busy. You might need to check and see when classes are offered in case they are only allowed taught once a year or have prereqs. 

I don't know if that was helpful at all. Basically I don't think it's unusual to have 12 credits every semester. 

Thanks for the advice. I was feeling like having 12 credits each semester would be normal, so thanks for confirming! Grad school wasn't madeto be easy after all. :)

I'm not a current grad but at the orientation for Northwestern they told us we'd be enrolled in 12 credit hours each quarter. They call them units, but it works out to be the same as 12 credit hours.