Two dream programs, only one of me

zj868

I'm sincerely stumped by the decision I have to make in less than a week. I was fortunate to get into two great electrical engineering programs. Ok here's the breakdown:

School A

Pros:

• Excellent research environment
  • 10 minutes away from significant other (after 5.5 yrs long distance)
  • Welcoming faculty who have discussed making me a part of their research group
  • Higher ranked
  • Cheaper
  • M.S degree?

Cons:

• Enjoyed the atmosphere of school B way more

School B: 

Pros:

Great environment

World renowned faculty

Beautiful Campus

Current advisor is alumni and well connected there

Cons:
Professors seem less inviting to Master's students for research

Far from significant other(but still closer than ever before)

More expensive

M.S.E non-thesis degree?

Something about school B is very inviting despite all the cons and their MBA program is top 3 so being alumni might help when I'm ready to pursue that. On the other hand there is the allure of being close to my significant other at school A but NY just isn't my cup of tea. Any thoughts?

Also, does MS vs MSE make a big difference?

Edited by zj868

school A is higher ranked ? I would opt for this.

why would you join B for EE if their MBA is top ranked? 

I could get which university (school B) you are talking about. it is in east coast and not far from NY.

Haha I forgot just how smart everyone on here is cs_phd! Maybe putting the school names might actually help though. School A is Columbia, School B is Penn :)

Edited by zj868

at upenn for MSE degree, you can do a thesis or independent study, but, it is dependent on individual's interest. if you don't want to do, you can just take courses.

No funding for MSE at UPenn. yes, only some MSE students get in to research lab and they get paid around 16-20$ per hour for that (max 20 hours you can work per week). 

from everything you have said (especially professor welcoming you to research group), I would choose Columbia. Especially if you are intending to do a PhD, this would help.

But, finally it is your call.

Thanks for that quick response cs! glad to see you sleep just as little as I do haha. I'm starting to lean towards Columbia now 

Thanks for that quick response cs! glad to see you sleep just as little as I do haha. I'm starting to lean towards Columbia now 

For what it's worth, Columbia's b-school is ranked #8 in the US. Not Wharton, but not shabby. 

For what it's worth, Columbia's b-school is ranked #8 in the US. Not Wharton, but not shabby. 

True but I'm under the impression that Wharton has a lot more influence in any aspect of business. That said, i'm sure i'll be fine at Columbia's b-school too. Anyone else have opinions on the comparisons? I'm hearing from a lot of friends that Penn recruiting is amazing and might make it easier to land a job after graduation. Any truth to this?