Difference between USC ME PASA and M Ed Educational Counseling?

mswprospect

What career paths are typically geared towards earning an Ed PASA? Would pursuing an M ED in Educational Counseling confine me to only college counseling jobs such as academic advising and career advising? Would having an Ed PASA allow me to explore a variety of career options within higher education administration? If I wanted to go into policy work after a few years of administrative work, would it be ideal to go for an Ed PASA?

If you've been in either of these programs, what was your experience like? Pros and cons? Would you recommend another program due to cost? Would you say your respective program immensely helped you career wise?

What are some other programs that are similar to ME PASA that are located in Southern California? 

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'd really like to know more about these programs! I researched a bit on the school websites, but the information was a bit general. Thanks! 

Although the degrees are not necessarily interchangeable, they often overlap in terms of career wise.

Despite the "name" Most ME: Educational  Counseling type degrees geared towards the colleges/universities are not clinical in nature. There are exceptions, such as Fresno State's  MS Counseling (student affairs) is CACREP certified. 

In my opinion,

if you want to be a counselor do counseling, if you don't then don't.

Hi MAC2809, 

Thanks for your response.

I actually meant that if I earned an M Ed in educational counseling, would it still be possible to lateral transfer into other aspects of postsecondary administration, such as student affairs? Or if I earned an ME PASA, would I be able to transfer into academic advising or career counseling? I have no interest in clinical counseling. 

Oops sorry about the downvote. I was about to upvote you but I accidentally clicked on the wrong arrow. 

Edited by foodmunkee

To answer your follow up question with anecdotes from my own personal experience, overlap between both degrees is definitely possible. I know a handful of people working in student affairs divisions who have counseling backgrounds. My former Hall Director from when I was an RA had an MA in Counseling and I also worked with a few people in admissions who came from traditional counseling backgrounds. Likewise, I know a handful people who did a HESA type program and then went into academic advising.

With this said if you are trying to decide which of these programs is the best fit for you, I'd recommend contacting the departments and asking them to explain the differences in greater detail. Then I'd apply for the one that you think is the best fit for you both academically and professionally. You will also probably want to make sure that assistantship opportunities are available students in both programs, since that is usually a pretty big factor in the decision making process for people looking to go into student affairs.

To answer your follow up question with anecdotes from my own personal experience, overlap between both degrees is definitely possible. I know a handful of people working in student affairs divisions who have counseling backgrounds. My former Hall Director from when I was an RA had an MA in Counseling and I also worked with a few people in admissions who came from traditional counseling backgrounds. Likewise, I know a handful people who did a HESA type program and then went into academic advising.

With this said if you are trying to decide which of these programs is the best fit for you, I'd recommend contacting the departments and asking them to explain the differences in greater detail. Then I'd apply for the one that you think is the best fit for you both academically and professionally. You will also probably want to make sure that assistantship opportunities are available students in both programs, since that is usually a pretty big factor in the decision making process for people looking to go into student affairs.

Thanks for your input. I'll definitely contact the departments and attempt to gain more information on the aspects of each program. Thanks again!