GRE score expiration

KieBelle

Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, but...

I took the GRE back in October 2005, which means my scores expire next year. I'm applying to master's programs now, but what happens if in 2 years when I get my master's degree I decide I want to pursue a Ph.D.? Will I have to take the GRE all over again because my scores will have expired? I can't believe they would make me do that if I already have a bachelor's and a master's, but I don't know. And I REALLY don't want to go through that nightmare again. Anyone have any idea?

Yes, you'll have to retake the GRE. The only exception would be if you continued in the same program you did your MA in, or if a program generally doesn't require the GRE from anyone (a growing trend in my field, at least).

It suck, but there's not much you can do about it. I've never heard of a Masters degree replacing the need to take the exam - it's either a requirement of everyone, or not at all. On the up side, it's always easier to take the test the second time around than it was the first time.

I've never heard of a Masters degree replacing the need to take the exam - it's either a requirement of everyone, or not at all.

I have seen it before. It's kind of a queer thing to google for in the abstract, so this was one of the first results I came up with:

Ph.D. APPLICANTS: Domestic students with an M.S. degree in Computer Science AND applying to the Ph.D. degree program AND NOT requiring Departmental financial assistance may REQUEST a GRE waiver provided ALL of the following minimum conditions are met:

1. An M.S. degree in Computer Science from an accredited U.S. university with a minimum GPA of 3.6 and have met all the required pre-requisite courses.

2. Have significant job related experience in computer science. Make sure that at least one of the letters of recommendation comes from your employer/supervisor and talks about your experience and capability in Computer Science.

Granted, this is from University of Maryland - Baltimore County (http://www.cs.umbc.edu/CSEE/grad/faq.ht ... aiver_Form). But such waivers exist (though possibly only at 2nd tier schools, but that's another story), so do explore your options.

That's news to me! those cs ppl are crazy :)

I've never heard of humanities programs selectively having only some of their applicants take the gre. Also, I would hate to restrict my choice of schools only to those that don't require it. Considering the alternatives, taking the gre is not as bad as not having a proper choice. Right now it's all hypothetical though. In two years, when the op is ready to apply to phd programs, then they can check what the schools they are interested in require and act accordingly. To the op: for now assume that you're likely to have to retake the test, but don't be too concerned. Why not worry about this if/when it becomes relevant, two years from now?