Fall 2016 - Phd Thread

14 minutes ago, Partinrn said:

A tad off topic ladies and gents, I apologize: I've never been to a graduate "open house" where they essentially try to sell you the school. They are paying for everything (flight, hotel, food, etc.). Is an open house the same as an interview?? To me it would seem odd to invite someone down, all expenses paid, unless they were pretty much all but accepted. 

Yes. Typically it means they accept you but want to be sure you aren't crazy. ;) this usually means they are figuring out who to put you with research wise and funding! It's a good sign! Congrats!!!! 

*sorry just realized I didn't fully answer your question! It's not what is considered a formal interview but definitely be prepared to speak to faculty about your research and interests, interact with current students, etc. 

Edited by liesandfish
Forgot to actually answer the question

I didn't get in. Not because I am a moron, but because of fit. They suggested one of their other doctoral programs. 

Good luck everyone, I hate this feeling and wouldn't want anyone else having to feel this way. 

3 hours ago, liesandfish said:

Yes. Typically it means they accept you but want to be sure you aren't crazy. ;) this usually means they are figuring out who to put you with research wise and funding! It's a good sign! Congrats!!!! 

*sorry just realized I didn't fully answer your question! It's not what is considered a formal interview but definitely be prepared to speak to faculty about your research and interests, interact with current students, etc. 

Edited by Partinrn
Response not showing

5 minutes ago, Partinrn said:

Thanks, Fish. It definitely helps to have people who know what to expect. I'm just nervous now because I haven't been on a plane in over 10 years! 

Partinrn, if it helps this was not only my experience but my sisters as well. She went through this last year. If you want to know what schools and such PM me! Also I hate flying, so I'm no help there. Fingers crossed for you!! But I am sure you will be GREAT. 

1 hour ago, nerdyjilly said:

I didn't get in. Not because I am a moron, but because of fit. They suggested one of their other doctoral programs. 

Good luck everyone, I hate this feeling and wouldn't want anyone else having to feel this way. 

Never would have thought you're moron! I'm so sorry, that sucks. I hope you hear from other schools. Or ask (if you are at all interested in the program they suggested) if they will waive the deadline and transfer your application? Just a thought. 

Either way, you are fantastic and will no doubt go far! :) 

@nerdyjilly  I am sorry to hear that, I hope that you hear from your other schools soon.  Also... I did not get to make the info session (conflict of scheduling).

I did get an e-mail from John Jay today.  Their in person interview day is scheduled for Friday, March 4th.  Fingers crossed that the interview goes well... :)

Edited by 1428 Elm St
Additional information added

10 minutes ago, liesandfish said:

Never would have thought you're moron! I'm so sorry, that sucks. I hope you hear from other schools. Or ask (if you are at all interested in the program they suggested) if they will waive the deadline and transfer your application? Just a thought. 

Either way, you are fantastic and will no doubt go far! :) 

You are just the sweetest! Thank you so much for your kind words. The other program had an earlier deadline and is already in the admissions process. I am definitely going through something right now so the positivity helps. 

@Partinrn

I only applied for John Jay. I'm tethered to NYC because of my child. I don't want to be anywhere else anyway. 

I have a pretty cool job interview coming up soon. I'd be involved in research and criminal justice while making a decent amount of money (and contributing to my pension) so it's not all bad. :)  

1 hour ago, nerdyjilly said:

I'm really sorry that you didn't get in. Good luck with whatever comes next. I didn't hear from them, so I probably didn't get in, either. :-(

12 minutes ago, nerdyjilly said:

Awwwww @phdincrim2016 they will have a second round! I just know I won't be part of it. You have plenty of options still! :) 

Thank you for your sympathy, I am sorry you didn't hear back either.  

I'm sorry you didn't get in, but am glad they gave you more than the usual "thanks but no thanks".  I'm not sure what your future endeavors are, but I know you will go on to do great things. 

20 minutes ago, Partinrn said:

Well USF rejected me. Nice enough letter, but it's alright. Good luck to everyone else who applied; you should be hearing soon!

Partinrn, bummer! Sorry to hear this. Thanks for the update though, I looked and I was accepted. Just a note: my acceptance sounded like a reject in the first paragraph, but then turned into an acceptance. 

Glad you have the interview, FSU!!!!!, and IUP. I hope we hear soon about FSU funding.....I'm not super optimistic for myself but it sounds like you have someone fighting for you! 

16 minutes ago, liesandfish said:

Partinrn, bummer! Sorry to hear this. Thanks for the update though, I looked and I was accepted. Just a note: my acceptance sounded like a reject in the first paragraph, but then turned into an acceptance. 

Glad you have the interview, FSU!!!!!, and IUP. I hope we hear soon about FSU funding.....I'm not super optimistic for myself but it sounds like you have someone fighting for you! 

Yeah I'm not complaining at all. I'm lucky to have what I have so far (fingers crossed for FSU funding as well!!). Congrats on USF, good program and I love Tampa. On a side note- is funding a school decision or does your advisor step in and give their own money? I've heard FSU isn't great for funding, though my advisor may push a little harder (hopefully to some avail). 

21 minutes ago, Partinrn said:

Yeah I'm not complaining at all. I'm lucky to have what I have so far (fingers crossed for FSU funding as well!!). Congrats on USF, good program and I love Tampa. On a side note- is funding a school decision or does your advisor step in and give their own money? I've heard FSU isn't great for funding, though my advisor may push a little harder (hopefully to some avail). 

From what I understand it is the committees decision but faculty definitely have influence even if they are not on the committee. I wouldn't be shocked if yours "endorsed" you and therefore gives you a slight edge over someone like myself who has no contact at FSU. ;) I know FSU only funds a small portion of the students but that opportunities for funding in years 2-4 can happen after you prove yourself. I think the fact that you have contact with a known advocate of his students will only help you! 

@nerdyjilly  Thanks so much.  I am really interested in learning more about GIS and environmental criminology.  If I had to be super specific, I would say that I would really like to focus on crime in PSAs (Public Service Areas [Housing Developments] in NYC).  It especially blows my mind that overall violent crime rates are down in NYC, except when you look at homicides, rapes, aggravated assaults (Assault 1 and Assault 2 [NYS PL]), robberies, and shooting incidents [in public housing developments; from 2006 all the way through 2013].  Additionally, out of ALL of the developments throughout the city, you only see this spike in 15 developments.  I would really like to focus my research on working on that problem.  Even though I am very interested in policing and evidence-based policy changes, I am also becoming very interested in corrections (specifically the rehabilitative ideal).  I really support the idea of evidence-based correctional practices as well.  I think in times like this we need to expand upon the 1974 Martinson Report and show that there are correctional practices that do work for some people... etc.  Although there has been an immense amount of research published which supports this... it simply seems as though policy makers/influencers have avoided acknowledging this.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant.  I have my fingers crossed for you with the new job!!  I wish you nothing but the best!

Hello, I am new to the discussion. I applied to USF, FSU, ASU, MSU, and UMSL. I am also applying to the University of Leeds. So far I have been accepted to USF, MSU, and FSU. 

1 minute ago, liesandfish said:

To whoever on the results board that was accepted with a GA position to USF, did your acceptance email say the info about the GA/funding? 

Congrats to you and thanks for the info in advance! 

I was offered a GA position from USF (& MSU). The information about the position is as follows:

"In addition, you have been selected to receive a graduate assistantship. This assistantship includes a tuition waiver and a stipend. The details of this assistantship are pending but typically the amount of the stipend is $15,000 per year."

I hope this helps!

Just now, Cedodge said:

Hello, I am new to the discussion. I applied to USF, FSU, ASU, MSU, and UMSL. I am also applying to the University of Leeds. So far I have been accepted to USF, MSU, and FSU. 

I was offered a GA position from USF (& MSU). The information about the position is as follows:

"In addition, you have been selected to receive a graduate assistantship. This assistantship includes a tuition waiver and a stipend. The details of this assistantship are pending but typically the amount of the stipend is $15,000 per year."

I hope this helps!

Welcome and congrats to you! 

Bummer, my email just said that funding decisions have not been made yet (USF) and asked for a phone number to call me at. Guessing I was not funded. Oh well, luckily I have other funded offers. 

4 minutes ago, liesandfish said:

Welcome and congrats to you! 

Bummer, my email just said that funding decisions have not been made yet (USF) and asked for a phone number to call me at. Guessing I was not funded. Oh well, luckily I have other funded offers. 

Don't give up hope! You may be on the waitlist for funding!

Congrats on your funding & acceptance!

8 minutes ago, Cedodge said:

Don't give up hope! You may be on the waitlist for funding!

Congrats on your funding & acceptance!

Thanks! Last question, did they ask to call you as well? I thought that addition was different than my other acceptances. Again, congrats, I am sure it was well deserved and considered!