Fall 2016 - Phd Thread

@Partinrn (and any other FSU peeps) the committee met Friday about funding, not sure if word has gone out yet via email or what but I was not funded. It sounds like a small percentage were (as per usual according to past years) but close to 70% receive funding during their first year and going forward. I'm now debating if I can afford to wait to hope for funding or if I want to go somewhere that had upfront offered me funding/fellowship. FSU funding is primarily based on GRE. 

Hope this helps! Happy Monday! 

28 minutes ago, liesandfish said:

@Partinrn (and any other FSU peeps) the committee met Friday about funding, not sure if word has gone out yet via email or what but I was not funded. It sounds like a small percentage were (as per usual according to past years) but close to 70% receive funding during their first year and going forward. I'm now debating if I can afford to wait to hope for funding or if I want to go somewhere that had upfront offered me funding/fellowship.

...so 70% of those NOT funded in the first year get funding later, or 70% of the class gets funding? I'm sorry, my brain is tired! :-) 

Just now, phdincrim2016 said:

...so 70% of those NOT funded in the first year get funding later, or 70% of the class gets funding? I'm sorry, my brain is tired! :-) 

From how I understand it, 70% of the class ends up getting funding. With 25% of them upfront-so 45% will get funded later on. (If my math is right?)

1 minute ago, liesandfish said:

From how I understand it, 70% of the class ends up getting funding. With 25% of them upfront-so 45% will get funded later on. (If my math is right?)

OH, okay. That makes sense, sorry for my confusion. That seems like a lot of risk and potentially a lot of money to spend... Ugh.

16 minutes ago, ThesisTerror724 said:

@liesandfish so sorry to hear you did not get funded. What are your other options as far as what programs you applied to besides FSU? 

Well @ThesisTerror724 I applied to 9 programs (8 Crim/CJ and 1 soc). I have heard from 5/9, of those 5 I have been accepted to all of them with funding/fellowships from 2, 1 pending funding and the other two no funding. I won't be making my decision until I hear from the other 4. (Pretty sure I'm a Harvard reject though, LOL). I'm not ruling out FSU yet, but funding is obviously a big deal. 

Applied to: FSU, USF, UF, UCF, George Mason, Georgia State University, UTexas Dallas, USC (South Carolina) and Harvard. 

Just now, liesandfish said:

Well @ThesisTerror724 I applied to 9 programs (8 Crim/CJ and 1 soc). I have heard from 5/9, of those 5 I have been accepted to all of them with funding/fellowships from 2, 1 pending funding and the other two no funding. I won't be making my decision until I hear from the other 4. (Pretty sure I'm a Harvard reject though, LOL). I'm not ruling out FSU yet, but funding is obviously a big deal. 

Applied to: FSU, USF, UF, UCF, George Mason, Georgia State University, UTexas Dallas, USC (South Carolina) and Harvard. 

Well you definitely have options which is good. I've always been told to stay away from a program that won't offer you funding for a PhD as it's just not worth it. I also have three undergraduate degrees so I'm really not interested in spending more $$$. I saved a lot getting my masters for free by working for a university. 

2 minutes ago, ThesisTerror724 said:

Well you definitely have options which is good. I've always been told to stay away from a program that won't offer you funding for a PhD as it's just not worth it. I also have three undergraduate degrees so I'm really not interested in spending more $$$. I saved a lot getting my masters for free by working for a university. 

Oh yeah, I'm thankful for options! Wow three undergrads! It took me close to seven years for one! Ha. I have heard that too, my masters was fully funded so I totally agree the weight off for not having to pay is huge. That being said, I love FSU and I feel optimistic I could get funded next year. But it's a gamble. Just like UCF is a slight gamble, being a new program. 

Anyone who gets FSU funding, if you want to turn it down.....;) kidding. 

Who knew decisions would be so hard?

@ThesisTerror724 where have you heard from again? 

@liesandfish These decisions can give me anxiety! Everything is a gamble really when you think about it. 

I applied to: 

American - haven't heard back

Arizona State - haven't heard back

Rutgers - They're flying me out March 3/4 for my interview 

Univ. of Delaware - accepted with full funding and they're flying me out for recruitment on February 22nd/23rd

Uc-Irvine - accepted with full funding

I'm 80% sure I'll choose UC-Irvine but Rutgers could definitely sway my decision depending on the visit. It's really close to all of the political action and I love policy. 

Yep just got an email from a Ms. Martinez. I did not receive funding either. It does seem like a big gamble. I will wait to see if my advisor in fact is Dr. Beaver; maybe he can get me something/shed light on the situation. As of now though I don't think I'll be going to FSU. I will not pay to get a PhD when other schools will pay me to do it. I was told an acceptance without funding is a polite rejection. Oh well, at least we have options. 

Edited by Partinrn

4 hours ago, liesandfish said:

@Partinrn (and any other FSU peeps) the committee met Friday about funding, not sure if word has gone out yet via email or what but I was not funded. It sounds like a small percentage were (as per usual according to past years) but close to 70% receive funding during their first year and going forward. I'm now debating if I can afford to wait to hope for funding or if I want to go somewhere that had upfront offered me funding/fellowship. FSU funding is primarily based on GRE. 

Hope this helps! Happy Monday! 

Yeah, unfortunately I did not get funding from FSU. Ah well, I got offered funding from MSU and USF, so no big.

I'm still waiting on ASU & UMSL as well as a scholarship to University of Leeds.

42 minutes ago, Cedodge said:

Yeah, unfortunately I did not get funding from FSU. Ah well, I got offered funding from MSU and USF, so no big.

I'm still waiting on ASU & UMSL as well as a scholarship to University of Leeds.

I'm so jealous of your USF funding! I'm holding out hope that I am either wait listed for the funding or have some other opportunity, since my letter said pending funding. :( if you decide to turn them down, let me (us) know. :) 

either way, great schools! I'm excited for you to hear from everywhere!! 

@ThesisTerror724 guess we didn't apply to any of the same schools! Congrats on such prestigious programs and all your acceptances/funding/interviews! You surely will have a tough choice to make! 

@Partinrn messaging you. 

Never ever ever even THINK about paying tuition for a PhD program. Furthermore, don't do a PhD unless tuition is free AND they give you a stipend you can at least minimally live off of. The rule is, don't take out any loans for a PhD, because it's a bad investment (and a signal that the department is not very interested in you). 

9 minutes ago, brokenwindow said:

Never ever ever even THINK about paying tuition for a PhD program. Furthermore, don't do a PhD unless tuition is free AND they give you a stipend you can at least minimally live off of. The rule is, don't take out any loans for a PhD, because it's a bad investment (and a signal that the department is not very interested in you). 

I agree and disagree. I totally understand where this philosophy comes from and have heard it again and again. But I also think everyone has different life factors to consider and just because a program doesn't fund you doesn't mean they won't in the future and also doesn't mean it isn't the best fit for you. Plus outside research grants and tuition waiver can make up the difference in some instances. 

But I agree going in debt is dumb. Just saying that everyone has different circumstances and what works for one person, may not work for another. 

And for full clarity on my own situation: I have definitely NOT ruled out the places I have been guarenteed funding. ;) 

Edited by liesandfish
Wrong word. Oops

Hm, I have never heard of someone getting the $45K+ in annual research grants that would be needed to compensate for a typical funding package. And I'm pretty sure that "no funding" means that there's also not a tuition waiver (which can be more than double most PhD students' stipends). If no funding actually means 'no stipend,' then that's not AS bad (but still pretty pretty bad). 

So as far as taking out $40K+ in loans every year for a PhD that would lead to a middling salary if you're lucky, I guess I just can't imagine a life circumstance that would justify such a bad investment. 

Edited by brokenwindow

And on that super condescending, offensive note, I'm gonna peace out for a bit. 

Just FYI you don't know everyone's circumstances. And assuming and cutting down a valid, polite response is pretty disheartening to a group that has been nothing but respectful and kind to each other. 

@brokenwindow thank you for editing out the overly offensive part. I appreciate that. 

Edited by liesandfish

2 minutes ago, brokenwindow said:

Yeah, just trying to make a little joke, but I guess this is a sensitive subject. :)

Good luck and have a good one. 

I don't think it is being sensitive to be offended when my differing opinion (again, I believe I responded initial with complete respect for your opinion on the funding issue) is compared to sex slaves and sex trafficking. Personally, I don't find my reaction to be overly sensitive, I am fairly sure anyone who has a monetary discussion referred to in such blunt, horrible terms as people who are tragically in sex work to LIVE, would react the same way I did. But I am glad you could delete your comments and make it out like I am the overly sensitive one. 

So what should I think if I haven't heard anything at all from Delaware? I'm just dying to hear anything from any school (even a rejection, anything!) but I noticed that the results board has everything reported on Delaware (acceptance, rejection, and wait list) and it's been radio silence over here... I don't know how to feel about my application!! ? Anyone know if they do rejections in waves? 

Ps- I've already triple checked all my contact information...

31 minutes ago, KnowVac said:

So what should I think if I haven't heard anything at all from Delaware? I'm just dying to hear anything from any school (even a rejection, anything!) but I noticed that the results board has everything reported on Delaware (acceptance, rejection, and wait list) and it's been radio silence over here... I don't know how to feel about my application!! ? Anyone know if they do rejections in waves? 

Ps- I've already triple checked all my contact information...

I am in the same boat as you! I have heard absolutely nothing from Delware. It's driving me nuts!

@Kylie_ it's good to know someone else is in the same boat! I freaked out a little bit earlier wondering if I made some stupid mistake and didn't submit it! (I did!) well hopefully we will hear something this week.

1 hour ago, KnowVac said:

So what should I think if I haven't heard anything at all from Delaware? I'm just dying to hear anything from any school (even a rejection, anything!) but I noticed that the results board has everything reported on Delaware (acceptance, rejection, and wait list) and it's been radio silence over here... I don't know how to feel about my application!!

I got rejected from Delaware, but my guess is that they have kept a group of people as a sort of informal waitlist, and those are the ones who haven't heard. In any case, I think this is definitely cause to send them an email to ask for clarification... If you know people who have heard both positive and negative news, it's only fair for you to inquire. Just my opinion...

2 hours ago, phdincrim2016 said:

I got rejected from Delaware, but my guess is that they have kept a group of people as a sort of informal waitlist, and those are the ones who haven't heard. In any case, I think this is definitely cause to send them an email to ask for clarification... If you know people who have heard both positive and negative news, it's only fair for you to inquire. Just my opinion...

Thanks for the response! I might have to get in contact with someone if I don't hear anything by the end of the week, just for my sanity's sake! 

21 minutes ago, ThesisTerror724 said:

@KnowVac and @Kylie_ I agree with @phdincrim2016: You are probably going to be informally waitlisted and they will pull from that pool of people based on who rejects their offers. Which I wouldn't take offense to at all but I totally understand wanting to know one way or the other. 

Considering I haven't heard anything from anyone, I'll take being on the back up wait list as a win haha... That was my first thought too much Delaware is my first choice so I didn't want to get my hopes up. I guess I'll just continue checking my email 20x a day!!