Fall 2016 - Phd Thread

9 hours ago, KnowVac said:

Considering I haven't heard anything from anyone, I'll take being on the back up wait list as a win haha... That was my first thought too much Delaware is my first choice so I didn't want to get my hopes up. I guess I'll just continue checking my email 20x a day!!

I also didn't hear anything from Delaware one way or the other, then got in at the last minute in April (and chose not to attend), and what I remember is that they were very focused on figuring out whether I really wanted to go. I think a lot of people apply there as a backup school, so if it really is your first choice, it might actually make a difference if you emailed the admissions committee and told them that if you got an offer you would accept it.

I liked Delaware because it was a combo of soc/crim, it had a couple professors I liked, and it's commutable to a couple big cities. However, I didn't like the stipend they offered. I can't remember it exactly, but it was something in the teens. For me, that was the dealbreaker (especially compared to a couple of my other offers).

Edited by brokenwindow

2 hours ago, brokenwindow said:

I also didn't hear anything from Delaware one way or the other, then got in at the last minute in April (and chose not to attend), and what I remember is that they were very focused on figuring out whether I really wanted to go. I think a lot of people apply there as a backup school, so if it really is your first choice, it might actually make a difference if you emailed the admissions committee and told them that if you got an offer you would accept it.

I liked Delaware because it was a combo of soc/crim, it had a couple professors I liked, and it's commutable to a couple big cities. However, I didn't like the stipend they offered. I can't remember it exactly, but it was something in the teens. For me, that was the dealbreaker (especially compared to a couple of my other offers).

Awesome! Thank you so much for the info! I may e-mail the grad director but I'll probably give it another week or two

I should have just waited more patiently because I heard back from UD today! I am officially wait listed but that will "likely change soon"... I'm so excited to have finally heard back from somewhere!

This may be a ridiculous question but I just don't know!... How should I respond to the email? Just let them know I'm excited about the opportunity and grateful for their consideration? 

Edited by KnowVac

10 minutes ago, KnowVac said:

This may be a ridiculous question but I just don't know!... How should I respond to the email? Just let them know I'm excited about the opportunity and grateful for their consideration? 

This is not a ridiculous question at all. In my opinion, I'd definitely email them back and let them know how excited you are. I am sure that part of their decision-making is in how likely the admitted student is to actually accept the offer. They are probably more likely to offer admission to somebody they are fairly sure will come.

Congratulations! 

42 minutes ago, phdincrim2016 said:

This is not a ridiculous question at all. In my opinion, I'd definitely email them back and let them know how excited you are. I am sure that part of their decision-making is in how likely the admitted student is to actually accept the offer. They are probably more likely to offer admission to somebody they are fairly sure will 

Congratulations! 

That's a really good point! Thank you! I'm so scared I'll do/say something that will make them second guess me haha

I agree with @phdincrim2016 for every place I have heard I emailed a thank you for the consideration and acceptance and that I look forward to xyz. I will keep them informed on my decision. I think it shows you're respectful and care about the time and thought they put into the decision. Especially wait listed, @knowvac it could make the difference in being immediately off the wait list or not. :) congrats on the news!!' 

Thanks @liesandfish, I will definitely be sending an email. One more question, if the email doesn't say the word "wait list" specifically... And instead says they can't offer me a position right now but there is a good chance that will change in the near future, is this the same as being wait listed? 

@KnowVac @Kylie_ typically (from those I know who have gone through this process in the last few years) this is even better than wait list, it means you are top of the "wait list" but just under the flat accepted. Your chances are much higher of being accepted with this wording! 

26 minutes ago, Kylie_ said:

@KnowVac I received the same email. I'm assuming that means waitlisted but perhaps at the top of the list since they made it sound as if we will eventually receiving an offer. 

That's exactly what I was thinking! Are you considering going to Delaware if you end up getting in? 

4 hours ago, KnowVac said:

That's exactly what I was thinking! Are you considering going to Delaware if you end up getting in? 

I am not 100% sure as I am still waiting to hear back from other schools. Delaware is up there on my list though! Fingers crossed for us both!

5 minutes ago, altikr25 said:

UPenn just got back to me, and I think all other applicants. Not accepted.  I will be going to Cincy in the fall. 

I was also rejected by Penn... Oh well.

Congrats on making a final decision! I'm still sorting through things and wish I were already done. I could do without all the ambiguity! :-)

9 hours ago, altikr25 said:

UPenn just got back to me, and I think all other applicants. Not accepted.  I will be going to Cincy in the fall. Hope to see some of you guys at ASC.  We should create some sort of identifier to find each other (e.g. a secret handshake or something). 

Congratulations on UC! Just wondering did you ever get any other emails from Penn? I went to website and all it says was that my application was submitted but I never received other emails from them about my application.

12 hours ago, altikr25 said:

UPenn just got back to me, and I think all other applicants. Not accepted.  I will be going to Cincy in the fall. Hope to see some of you guys at ASC.  We should create some sort of identifier to find each other (e.g. a secret handshake or something). 

Congrats on UC! unfortunately I did not receive admission but had a great conversation with my former professors (the adcom) and this year they had a bunch of well qualified students, so major congrats on getting in, it's a great school. 

3 hours ago, crimqueen said:
3 hours ago, crimqueen said:

Congratulations on UC! Just wondering did you ever get any other emails from Penn? I went to website and all it says was that my application was submitted but I never received other emails from them about my application.

The only email I ever got was one telling me that a "decision was ready" or something like that. I logged on and there was a place to click for decision letter. If it's not showing up on your screen, I'd contact them to see what's up. 

14 hours ago, altikr25 said:

Sorry about UPenn, but congrats on Cincy. I'll be at ASC again this year- which reminds me that I need to submit my abstract by the 11th of March... Yay thesis!

I was easy to spot this past year- not many presenters with purple hair.

Sorry for rambling, I'm still on eggshells about ASU's decision. Looks like they are notorious for making decisions in late Feb.

8 hours ago, crimqueen said:

You may be on a  wait list, so they didn't make a decision on your app yet? Idk I'd think if it was a rejection you would have found it. 

I just received an email (first and only) from them saying my decision is available online.  The letter was listed under "decision letter" online. 

Update: good luck!

Edited by altikr25

I am so jealous of those of you that are making/have made the decision. I didn't realize how many variables and how stressful this process would be on this side of it. I knew the applying and waiting would be rough, but always figured the decision would be easier. 

I almost wish I was currently in school so I would be preoccupied and not have to think about this so much. 

Question: Has anyone heard from multiple professors from schools they were accepted to? How have you engaged in conversation without giving a firm accept to them? Have multiple schools had people reach out to you? I am struggling to not get overly excited about their work and my interests when I am not ready to commit to a school yet. 

(sorry for the ramble, I hope this makes some sense)