Application Envelopes

IheartClinicalPsych

I have a question. When I provide my professors with envelopes to put letters of reccomendation in, what size envelope do I give them? A normal sized one, or on big enough so they don't have to fold the letter? And Second, when I send in my entire application packet, what size envelope do I use? Please name the dimensions for me, so I get the right one! Thanks! :)

I just used regular letter sized envelopes for the stamped, address envelopes I sent them, mostly because (here in Canada, at least) postage on a larger envelope is more variable in cost, and I didn't want any of the envelopes to get nailed for insufficient postage. I debated about it since I didn't want the LOR's to have to be folded, but then I just decided that it was easier, more cost effective, and more convenient to go with small envelopes, and the materials will likely get photocopied for all of the Ad Comm members anyway.

For the larger envelope that I sent the materials in, I went with an oversized envelope, guesstimating about 14 X 12 inches.

Personally, I'd go with the smallest envelope that fits your papers without folding them -- somehow it just seems more professional to me. All my recommendations will be electronic, but my CV and writing sample for a couple programs will be sent in a larger envelope.