Resume/CV Advice

cake268

So...this isn't exactly for a grad school application, as I'm not quite to that point yet (a few months more). At the moment I'm applying for between-degree paid internships since I graduate in December. I'm looking for something to do between December and September of next year when I'll be--hopefully--starting graduate school in Political Science.

One of the programs I'm applying for is pretty competitive, and includes people who just finished undergrad work like myself, as well as grad students and people who have finished grad programs. I'm wondering what is appropriate to include on my resume/CV at this point.

I have a lot of work experience, most of which I'm including. I don't have a lot of outside-of-work achievements, especially I was a somewhat lackluster student in college. Obviously most high school stuff is ridiculous to include, but does that include stuff like National Merit Scholarship, Eagle Scout, etc? Include (if space allows) or not?

Second question is regarding an outside activity that has some slight relevance.....I've been on several long rock/mountain climbing trips, for as long as 8 days in a fairly remote part of Canada (and several more in the U.S.). I wasn't an "expedition leader" or anything, but I also wasn't being guided, as these were all self-supported 2-man trips. Basically, the point of this is that I've done something that required significant motivation, commitment, organization and a bit of leadership. It's not part of my personal statement, and it doesn't seem appropriate anywhere in the application except potentially under an "outside interests" section on a resume. Should I include it?

Just looking for thoughts, as my university's career center was rather less than helpful on this particular subject. Thanks!

Yes, include a CV. It's time to start building your life that way.

1. The sad part about high school stuff is that no matter how wonderful it was, even if you had an accolade from the Queen herself, at best it seems like you're padding if you include it and I think it may just draw attention to the lack of achievements in college.

2. I do think that the mountain climbing says a lot about you as a person, but I would definitely question how you could incorporate it. Will there be interviews for the programmes? You could definitely use it to help frame one of your answers.

1. Yeah, I was sort of thinking that but still debating. I'll leave it out I suspect.

2. There will be interviews for top candidates.....so I may or may not get to that stage. But that's at least a good idea and gives me an option other than forcing it into a resume in a place it doesn't below.

Thanks a lot...that was helpful.

Can you mention the mountain climbing in your cover letter? Something along the lines of, "I am a motivated self-starter in everything I do, from managing xyz projects to extreme mountain climbing"? (God, I hate resume-speak.)

I still have National Merit Scholar listed under awards/honors on my CV, and I've been out of school for 13 years. It's three little words; not like it takes up much space, and it is an achievement.

I still have "valedictorian" listed for high school. I know I should take it off someday...but like the above poster said, I think, well, it's just one little word that certainly isn't going to hurt being on my CV...and sadly, it's still one of my greatest accomplishments :P