GRE for International Relations, retake?

irapplicant1776

Hi everyone,

On the GRE I got 165 verbal, 149 quant, waiting on analytical writing. I studied for months using Magoosh and am disappointed at my quant score, but math has never been my strong point. 

However, besides my quant score, I think I have a fairly strong application:

3.94 undergrad GPA, Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Honors Program
5 years abroad since graduating, including two as a Peace Corps Volunteer
Two foreign languages, including one critical needs language
I expect to have great letters of recommendation, including one from a former professor who also mentored me at an intergovernmental organization, and could testify to work that I did that required quantitative ability. 
Math for liberal studies, microeconomics, macroeconomics, Intro to Statistics - all As

I plan to apply to Korbel, Fletcher, Georgetown SFS, American SIS and SAIS. I've seen that my verbal score is above average, and my quant score is below average. Do you think it's necessary to attempt to get a higher quant score?

Edited by irapplicant1776

Hey, so I am by no means an expert on this topic, since I'm in the same boat as you are - applying for Fall 2016 entry to IR and MPA/MPP programs, PCV experience, etc. I can only give my opinion on what I'd do in your particular scenario, as I'm in the midst of making the same decisions myself. I'm applying to Georgetown SFS, Johns Hopkins SAIS, GW SIA, American SIS, Columbia SIPA, Tufts Fletcher, Princeton WWS and Harvard KSG. 

I think you should consider taking the GRE again, in my opinion, if quant heavy (read: econ, empirical analytical models, international trade, etc) IR programs are at the top of your list. It looks like the only one you're applying to that would possibly fit that category is SAIS. Then again, Georgetown and Fletcher are very competitive programs, and while GRE definitely isn't the most important thing that adcomms will look at, I do think a sub 150 quant score might give them a little bit of pause. Korbel and American seem quite a bit easier to get into and this might not matter as much for them. Basically, if you're not dead set on SAIS, or even SFS or Fletcher, a retake might be unnecessary. However, if you have the time, patience and money, and are more interested in those programs (particularly SAIS), it can't hurt to retake it. 

I do think the rest of your application details are strong, especially for these programs. 

Just my two cents, best of luck! 

Edited by 6speed!

• 1 month later...

From speaking with an admissions counselor at SFS it seems they appropriate funding based on GRE rankings. if that's an issue for you, I may consider retaking the GRE. I don't think you'll have a problem getting into Korbel or SIS. SAIS may be a problem because they are very quant focused. If I were reviewing your app as a SAIS admit officer I'm not sure you would be happy, either, going to SAIS with your math struggles. Were your econ courses through the Honor Program? Getting an A in an Honors course may help offset the low GRE quant for SAIS.

Edited by StyLeD