Choosing a subfield in the grad application

Hello all:

I'm applying to a bunch of PhD programs in English this season and had a question about the applications. Looking through, most applications seem to ask you to choose a subfield from a drop-down list. My concern is trying to choose between a literary time period (20th-century American, etc.) or the general Critical Theory subfield. Given what I want to study, I could choose either option, but I am wondering what is at stake in the decision.

Does this question determine who will look over my application? Is there a smarter or more competitive choice? How does my answer to this subfield question affect the way my application is handled?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

It could possibly affect who reads your application, but it will certainly affect how you are "categorized" by the adcomm. If you select 20C, you'll be treated as a 20C applicant, and the same holds if you select theory. So it matters quite a bit. Couldn't tell you which one would be "smarter or more competitive," though. That's going to depend on the particular school and the particular application year. 

Yeah, you're probably right about that. I had thought DDD's question about the drop-down menu was really one about being clear what their subfield is. That was careless thinking on my part.