How do gap years look to top programs?

gughok

So I'm a fourth-year undergraduate at a pretty well-known university studying linguistics and philosophy, and I'd like to continue with philosophy at the best PhD program I can get into. I feel like my application materials, especially my writing sample, could be improved substantially if I apply next year instead of this cycle. Assuming this is the case, what do philosophy admissions people at institutions like Rutgers, NYU, Princeton, MIT (I'm interested in Philosophy of Mind) think, prima facie, when they see a student has taken a gap year (if anything at all)? Would taking the year, of itself, hurt, improve, or make no difference to my chances? And how do those answers change if I can show I've spent the time well?

If more information is required, here are some details:

I started out as a Physics and Philosophy major. I've meandered through Math and CS so I have a wide background. The trade-off is that until recently I didn't really get into my philosophy major and actually had a three semester hiatus from philosophy classes (but I'm into it with a passion now) so I have only decent and not genuinely exceptional (in my opinion) writing samples. I also have only cursory familiarity with most philosophy professors in my department, though there should be three from whom I can get good LORs by the end of the semester. These, too, would be improved if I take the year.

My cumulative GPA is 4.03, something similar in the major. I took the GRE today, unofficial scores are 170 170.

I've had people tell me a lot of it is simply whether I want to take the year off or not. I'm still figuring that part out. I think if I can get into my top choices this cycle I'd go for that, otherwise I'd probably just rather take the year to improve what I can.

I'd really appreciate any advice =/

sidebysondheim and thomasphilosophy have already got this covered, but a little additional anecdote for you: I know someone who not only took 2 years worth of gap year, but attempted to study in a different field at a different university for a few months in between. Ultimately, he dropped out of that program and returned to philosophy, where - he asserts - his short absence from the field and flirtation with another discipline did him no harm whatsoever on applications. He ended up getting into five of his eight (quite well-ranked) PhD programs.

I myself took a year between finishing my BA and heading to MA to work on application material, and when I mentioned it to faculty who had been on the admissions committee after I was accepted, literally none of them even realized the gap. I know it seems glaring to you because you're hypersensitive of its presence, but I second (third?) wholeheartedly the earlier advice in this thread: it won't matter a bit.

Gap years are fine. From what I understand, what can hurt a little is anything on your application that sends the message that you're not sure where you want to be. So if you took time in your gap year(s) to attend graduate school completely unrelated to philosophy, that could make a small difference. I think, in the end, these things make little difference. What they want to see are strong letters and a background of formal study of philosophy (typically a degree in philosophy), in addition to an extremely strong writing sample, solid grades, and decent scores (roughly in that order).

A gap year may *help* you, if you use it to make a better application.