GRE Score Cancellations

annek1

I have a question regarding GRE score cancellations--how do schools typically view these as? I have taken the GRE twice a couple years ago, and came out with an ok score the second time. Recently, I retook the GRE twice again, hoping to improve my score and cancelled both times because I was concerned about getting a lower score than before. I have decided to keep my previous score (the one that was ok from a couple years ago). So my score report will read SCORE, SCORE, CANCELLATION, CANCELLATION. Will this be a major issue with my application? (if it matters, I am applying for non-clinical psychology phd programs).

Thank you in advance for your responses/advice.

Hmmm. I wasn't aware schools would see cancellations. I'd be interested to see what others say.

I thought that on the report it would show that the test was taken and score was cancelled (although I know that the score that was cancelled does not appear). It would be great if it is true that the fact the score was cancelled did not even show up....

This is what ETS say about canceling your scores:

"At the end of the test, you will be given the option to cancel your scores. You cannot cancel your score for one section of the test and have the scores for the remaining sections reported. Although you have the option to cancel your scores, consider very carefully before doing so. Your scores will be reported to GRE score recipients only at your request. If you cancel your scores, they will NOT be reported to you or any score recipients, and no refund will be made. Canceled scores are not added to your permanent record. If you wish to take the test again, you must reregister and submit another test payment."

I take it from this that canceled scores do not show up in the report.