go to MA or straight to Ph D or have a gap year? (Continental philosophy, phenomenology, philosophy of religion)

chanchu1352

Hi, I am senior from Emory who majors in philosophy.

My cumulative GPA is not that high, as it is only 3.6. But, my GPA for philosophy courses only are okay. They are around 3.8~9

I have taken GRE once, and I received 93 percentile on the verbal section and 80 on the math section. 

The main problem is that my writing sample is not that strong. I have not taken a course that requires a paper longer than 15 pages. 

So, I am currently working on Honors Thesis, but it takes a year to be finished before I graduate. 

Do you guys think it will be better if I have a gap year to use my Thesis as a writing sample? 

Or do you guys think that I should apply for terminal MA to be better prepared for Ph D?

Or should I apply for Ph D this year?

I would like to hear your opinions. 

My situation is virtually identical to yours. I have an excellent Philosophy GPA, great GRE, even good recommendations, but I don't have the powerful writing sample I need for a top program.

All the advice I've received from professors and other students can be summed up in probably three points:

1. A gap year cannot hurt - admissions committees, at worst, will not care that you took the year

2. Used well, a gap year will help you - with time to improve your materials, such as your writing sample, as you mentioned

3. If you can fill the year with an MA (terminal or otherwise), that will probably help you even more, as admissions committees will see that you'll have that preparation (even if it's only in progress at the time of your application), and you can use your professors there to optimize your application materials

To this effect I'm hoping to do an MA at Toronto next year. Given the advice I've received I'd recommend to you that you at least take a gap year, and if possible do a preparatory MA.

If you don't think you have the best writing sample you can produce right now, and you believe that by waiting for the next application cycle you can make that best sample, do not waste your time with PhD applications this year. Take the year.

I have thought about going to GSU, but I don't think it will be a good fit. I hear it is mostly focused on Kant. I was thinking of applying for U Chicago because my interest is on phenomology and its ethical implications. Levinas, Heidegger, and Max Scheler are my key interests. The problem is that UC is one of the top schools, and I don't think I qualify for it yet..Do you guys know any MA programs suited for my interest? 

Edited by chanchu1352

May as well apply to MAs, and if you're interested in Continental and already live in Atlanta, Georgia State seems like an obvious choice. LSU might also be a good fit. 

I have thought about going to GSU, but I don't think it will be a good fit. I hear it is mostly focused on Kant. I was thinking of applying for U Chicago because my interest is on phenomenology and its ethical implications. Levinas, Heidegger, and Max Scheler are my key interests. The problem is that UC is one of the top schools, and I don't think I qualify for it yet..Do you guys know any MA programs suited for my interest? 

Edited by chanchu1352

I have thought about going to GSU, but I don't think it will be a good fit. I hear it is mostly focused on Kant. I was thinking of applying for U Chicago because my interest is on phenomenology and its ethical implications. Levinas, Heidegger, and Max Scheler are my key interests. The problem is that UC is one of the top schools, and I don't think I qualify for it yet..Do you guys know any MA programs suited for my interest? 

I can't say if it would be a good fit beyond what I've already pointed to, but I can say it is not mostly focused on Kant. Nietzsche and Rawls get far more attention. 

Straight to PhD: if you believe that you will get admitted to the program of your choice.

Wait a year: if you think that all you need to maximize your chances is more time. More time to do what? To write a better sample. To seek better letters. To retake the GRE. Etc.

MA first: If you think you need any of the things that the MA programs typically provide. See the posts linked below.

Two helpful posts on this site, both having to do with reasons to get an MA: