GRE scores dilemma

any5

Ok, I took the GRE 2 years ago when I applied for my masters and got

V: 164, Q: 159, A: 5.5

I am now applying to PhD programs (top 10 sociology) and I re-took the GRE and got

V: 165, Q: 160, A: 5.0

So I improved by one point in both verbal and quant, but my analytical writing score is weaker by 0.5

Which one should I send? - Is the 1-pt improvement in V&Q more weighty than the decline in Analytical? Should I send both?

I mean the differences are by so little that there isn't much cumulative effect, but the 160Q looks better than 159, so if you're going to only pick one send the latter. The writing score is not that important unless you're an international student (and if you are, either 5.0 or 5.5 is really good). However, you're probably fine with either.

It's a tough call. Have you looked at the percentile data on the GRE's website? That may help in your decision. 

You also might try calling the program to get a feel for what part of the GRE they most value...

Ultimately, you're in good shape with either score in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Determinedandnervous said:

I mean the differences are by so little that there isn't much cumulative effect, but the 160Q looks better than 159, so if you're going to only pick one send the latter.

I'm going to second this. Percentile-wise, the difference is not significant. However, AW is generally much less important than V & Q, and perhaps more importantly, admissions committees have a lot of applications to go through in not much time: even though 160 is just one more than 159, it looks much better by virtue of being in the 160s, and this probably will make a stronger impression.