Scores getting progressively worse!!! (Quant)

PhdApplicant311

How is this even possible? I was hoping after every test and review and then re-test my quant scores would get better - the number of questions i get right do but not the scores. 5 more days left and I was hoping I would have reached the 155 mark at the very least by now! Please help what can I do? Should I just accept I have no aptitude for maths, while verbal scores count the most, I am not even sure of getting over 160 in verbal which would somewhat make-up for the worsening quant scores.

Manhattan 1  Quant: 151, Verbal: 156 
Power Prep 1:  Quant 147, Verbal 156
Manhattan 2: Quant 152, Verbal 159 
Manhattan 3: Quant 150, Verbal 158
Magoosh: Quant: 149, Verbal 163
Power Prep 1: Quant: 145, Verbal 161 (Took this today and for the first time got the most number of quant questions correct - 23/40 and was expecting at least 155, got a shock of my life when I saw 145!!!!)

My guess with the Power Prep score is that based on on your performance on the first "medium" quant section, you got the easier second section which does impact your scores, even if you get answers right. I had a pretty similar experience with my practice test scores before I took the GRE on Monday.

Magoosh test- 2 weeks before test Q 149

ETS PP1- 1 week before test:  Q 151

ETS PP2- 2 days before test:  Q 150 (this is when I started to have a breakdown!)

Magoosh test- 1 day before test: Q 154

Magoosh score estimate: Q 155-160 

Actual test:  Q 156

In the few days before the test, I watched videos for the two areas I hadn't covered yet-- Coordinate Geometry and Probability and I focused on doing as many problems as possible. When I got problems wrong, I watched Magoosh videos explaining the answers AND re-watched some of the review videos.

The day before the test, I stopped doing work around 4 pm. I wasn't going to learn anything more at  that point and I was making myself crazy. I watched a favorite show, ate a good dinner, hung out with my wife. I think that helped.

I do think that the adrenaline on the day of the test helped me focus. In the second quant section, I clicked through a bunch of problems to see what was coming up and started to freak out a little. I took a few deep breaths and reminded myself to (1) make sure I understood what the question was asking and (2) avoid over-complicating things. I have a tendency to lean towards formulas and calculations rather than logic and estimation. There were at least two problems in the second math section that I was able to solve by slowing myself down and using logic.

My goal was 50th percentile in math. I really didn't think I was going to get it. I was shocked when I saw my score. I haven't had a math class in 17 years! If you are anything like me, you can do it!

I'm increasingly realizing that much success is dependent on mental state outside of actual knowledge of math and verbal. For instance, I was at a point in my preparation whereby my math scores were getting worse, despite lots of studying. This could only be due to anxiety.