GRE Scores vs. Average GRE Percentiles

SAPA

I am applying to PhD and MA programs in political science. I have the following GRE scores (2 attempts) but I am uncertain which I should send.

Test #1: 168 Verbal (98%-tile) / 154 Quant. (56%-tile)

Test #2: 162 Verbal (90%-tile) / 157 Quant. (68%-tile)

The numerical gain in the test #2 with the better quant. score is less than the numerical loss of the verbal score. Yet the average of the *percentiles* (something listed in the FAQ of a number of programs) is higher in test two (average of 79%-tile versus average of 77%-tile). 

Does anyone know how admissions committees assess GRE scores (numbers versus percentiles)?

Thanks.

Not true. PS programs care fairly heavily about quant; both sections are equally important. Although the verbal score on test 1 is certainly impressive, I would choose test 2 if I were you. The verbal is sufficient either way, so go with the higher quant score. Also, some schools take the highest score from each test, so you might want to check with your schools to see if that's an option.