GRE score good enough?

Mpolat

Hi there, 

I guess everybody starts up a new topic for the same question, so that's what I did also. I have a GPA of 3.1 for Masters on Islamic Studies and Christian-Muslim Relations from Hartford Seminary. I have a GRE of V152/Q161/AW 3.5. I have a TOEFL of 101. I am hoping to get into a PhD program somewhere such as Georgetown and Temple hopefully with funding. I am native in Turkish, can read/write Ottoman language. I have intermediate level of Arabic, planning to improve further asap. I am working on my SOP, Writing sample and Recommendations. I didn't prepare for GRE at all. Should I study some and take it again? Would that scores get me to a school in Religious studies? Thanks in advance!

Edited by Mpolat

Sorry, Mpolat, I'm replying without an answer but just wanted to say that you are not alone in that boat. I have no idea on my chances to be admitted by Georgetown. I am an Arab living in the US and also applying to the Arab & Islamic studies of which the deadline is too close, Dec 15! I finished Arabic classes, along with others, in an Islamic seminary but the problem is that the learning system there is unofficial that they do not provide transcripts. I don't know if my high grades in Arabic in high school is counted (or even reportable).

Your GRE scores are better than mine but I don't have to take TOEFL as I have a master of public policy from an English-speaking institution with a 3.7 GPA. According to their website, Georgetown mentions that there is no minimum GRE score as they consider the whole application as there may be strengths that make up for the low GRE scores, although I am not sure how that would work. Hope somebody from Georgetown can address our concerns.