Interview timings

sharsnik

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this, but I was hoping that someone with more knowledge about the process than myself could answer this question for me.

For neuroscience programs, do basically all applicants need to interview, or are some directly admitted? Further, if you do somehow magically skip the interview process, when are you likely to be informed? (i.e. will it still take until march or April, or what have you?)

Put another way, how worried should I be about not getting interviews to certain schools? (Assuming that my application is reasonably competitive)

Honestly, the age old answer stands, it depends. Most PhD programs require interviews, but not all. If others are getting interview offers, then I would write to the program coordinator or whoever can help and ask about an update on your application. They can tell you if you are still under review or rejected. That would be the fastest way to piece of mind. Its still December though, so I wouldnt be getting worried just yet. 

• 2 weeks later...

For schools with interviews, I've been told that accepted candidates are selected from the pool of interviewed candidates. However, just because others have gotten invites, it doesn't mean that no more will be sent out. It could be worth sending an email to check if you know the deadline to respond to invites is coming up though.

Many schools state explicitly on their website whether or not applicants not receiving interviews are eligible for admission.  I'm sure that you've already scoured that source, but if not it's a great place to start. 

I would be extremely hesitant to contact the department this early.  Administrative staff often has a say in who gets admitted and they may not look favorably on being "bugged" (imagine if you were the fifth or sixth person who called them that day!).