Asking LORs if you can apply to another college?

kingslayer

Hey everyone,

Right now, all of my LORs are turned in except for one. I applied to 15 schools, but I can try and scrape enough money together to apply to another.

What is the best way to approach them about this? Should I ask each one first and see if it's ok? It would be due January 15 (plenty of time after holidays) but I don't want to upset them or anything.

imo since this is the same application cycle and the same type of letter, you would not need to get their consent again. Just generate the submission emails and include in the message that you decided to add this school to your list and would appreciate if they could submit this letter by Jan 15.

I ended up adding a school at the last minute, after learning that a pervasive rumor about a faculty member leaving was not accurate. When emailing recommenders, I thanked them for the letters they had already submitted and then mentioned my reasons for adding an additional program. All of them were happy to help.