Would it give a bad impression if I ask for another time for skype interview?

maktoob101

First of all, I am an international applicant and my local time is 14 hours ahead of EST. (so its Saturday 1:52am right now over here)

I received an email from my POI saying that he was greatly interested in my application and asking if I would have time for a skype conversation.

I replied few hours later, saying that I would love to have the opportunity and asked for a time that suits him best.

He mailed back couple hours later, asking my current location to calculate the time difference. I replied back promptly, telling him where I'm at, and that I can adjust to his schedule if he would let me know his time of convenience.

Then this morning (Friday 10:00am EST / Saturday 00:00am in my local time zone) he emailed me if today 7:00pm EST (Saturday 9:00am in my local time) would be available for me.... That is like 9 hours from the time he emailed and honestly I did not expect him to request an interview so early. I am totally unprepared and the thing is I was already out of town for the weekend before he gave me the first email and I said I was able to adjust my schedule to his since I was expecting the interview to be sometime next week...

Now I had to send him an email saying that I am sorry for the inconvenience but cannot make it at that time but I would be available anytime from Monday.. I'm kind of freaked out if I blowed the interview and gave him a bad impression even before it started. Although he said not to worry if I cannot make it at 7:00pm. 

what do you guys think?

Edited by maktoob101

I think it's perfectly fine, I'm sure he knows it's last minute, just stay professional in your correspondence. It's fine to say "Unfortunately I've already made travel plans for this weekend and therefore won't be able to make tomorrow at 9am. Here are some other times that work for me later in the week: ... ". Give several options and indicate that other times might be ok too. 

Let him know what times you are free so that he can choose from them.

Also there is nothing you can do to prepare for a grad school interview (other than practice answering common questions in english if you are an international student.)