Near Eastern 2016

Didi87

Question

20 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, Didi87 said:

Oh mine is Arabic. 

I still have my fingers crossed for Berkeley 

Yeah, me too. I'm not very hopeful though. 

we'll see how it goes.

6 minutes ago, Didi87 said:

Hi,

Did anyone here apply to the PhD Program/ Near Eastern Studies/ Arabic. I still haven't received anything, so I am kind of worried.

Hi Didi87,

Did you check the following topic?:  

Hello!

I have applied to a number of Near/Middle Eastern Studies Programs (sometimes in conjunction with the departments of Comparative Literature) and I still haven't heard anything either. Which universities are you waiting to hear from??

On February 7, 2016 at 10:28 PM, Mojdeh said:

Hello!

I have applied to a number of Near/Middle Eastern Studies Programs (sometimes in conjunction with the departments of Comparative Literature) and I still haven't heard anything either. Which universities are you waiting to hear from??

Berkeley, Chicago, Cornell. I have checked the results and a couple have posted that they got admitted! Do you think they send the admitted first and then the rejected? ?

Edited by Didi87

Just now, Didi87 said:

Berkeley, Chicago, Cornell. Inuit checked the results and a couple have posted that they got admitted! Do you think they send the admitted first and then the rejected? ?

Hey:-)

I just received my first rejection from Chicago today. 

I'm not quite sure, but I think the Chicago results should be out shortly depending on the areas of research (since I got a personalised E-mail).

What universities have posted admissions? I also have applied to Berkeley, but not heard anything yet.

Just now, Mojdeh said:

I'm not quite sure, but I think the Chicago results should be out shortly depending on the areas of research (since I got a personalised E-mail).

What universities have posted admissions? I also have applied to Berkeley, but not heard anything yet.

People posted about Berkeley, Chicago and Cornell. I think then I am receiving the rejection letter soon. When did you receive it?

Just now, Didi87 said:

People posted about Berkeley, Chicago and Cornell. I think then I am receiving the rejection letter soon. When did you receive it?

Oh, I hadn't seen anything from Berkeley in the results page.

But don't despair, maybe yours will be good news:)

I received an E-mail today at around 5:30 EST. So, I guess 4:30 Chicago time. 

2 minutes ago, Didi87 said:

4 minutes ago, Mojdeh said:

And what's your area of interest? 

2 minutes ago, Mojdeh said:

Oh, I hadn't seen anything from Berkeley in the results page.

But don't despair, maybe yours will be good news:)

I received an E-mail today at around 5:30 EST. So, I guess 4:30 Chicago time. 

Near eastern, Berkeley cuneiform 

According to the survey, the past few years Berkeley sent out their notifications the second week of February so I've been on edge all week.   Inshallah it will all work out.

As for UChicago those who were accepted were already notified, the rejections come much later (not sure why they do that...)

23 hours ago, ibnbattuta said:

According to the survey, the past few years Berkeley sent out their notifications the second week of February so I've been on edge all week.   Inshallah it will all work out.

As for UChicago those who were accepted were already notified, the rejections come much later (not sure why they do that...)

I heard from Chicago and it was a rejection. Do you anything about Cornell? I saw one post of acceptance. 

Just now, Didi87 said:

I heard from Chicago and it was a rejection. Do you anything about Cornell? I saw one post of acceptance. 

I likewise received my rejection from UChicago, was surprised that it went out this early as last year was much later.  As for Cornell, I do not know anything about this admission process, but I wish you the best of luck.

3 hours ago, ibnbattuta said:

I likewise received my rejection from UChicago, was surprised that it went out this early as last year was much later.  As for Cornell, I do not know anything about this admission process, but I wish you the best of luck.

Cornell usually only admits *maybe* 4 students and only about 2 end up matriculating per year. It's a pretty small (but very nice) department. It looks like somebody was notified (seen on the results page), so I'm guessing if you haven't heard by now, it's not really going to be in your favor. 

I have heard from Chicago, but have heard nothing from Berkeley.  I have not applied to Cornell.   I hope that you hear some good news!

2 hours ago, dahweh said:

I have heard from Chicago, but have heard nothing from Berkeley.  I have not applied to Cornell.   I hope that you hear some good news!

I have just heard from Cornell: rejection. And Berkeley said that they already contacted the admitted , and the rejected should receive emils today or tomorrow. 

On February 16, 2016 at 1:31 PM, Didi87 said:

I have just heard from Cornell: rejection. And Berkeley said that they already contacted the admitted , and the rejected should receive emils today or tomorrow. 

I heard from Berkeley yesterday.  I was not admitted.   But there are still 4 more programs to hear from:  NYU, Yale (Religious Studies), Brandeis, and Hopkins.