Guest Grad19204

Guest Grad19204
On 2/20/2016 at 7:00 AM, Falcore said:

Well, if nothing comes of this cycle, that might be my next step. 

Not a bad thing at all. There are more options for Film and Media Studies at the MA level than at the PhD level, and some excellent "well-kept secret" programs that are fully-funded and headed by top scholars (WUSTL and Emory come to mind). It's also a chance to work with more scholars in the field and use that as a launching pad for the PhD. If you have a defined research interest and a desire to teach, why not put it to the test by going through the rigors of an MA program where you get to practice both? 

I know it's helped me.

16 hours ago, Falcore said:

Well, perhaps that's all that's left to do.

First of all, it's not over until its over.  I had waitlist notifications come in late.

I remember being shut out was one of the more crushing periods of my life, and for a week or two I spent my evenings after work drinking wine and eating pizza and playing video games and not much else.  Then I woke up one morning, dusted myself off, and said "what's my next step?".  Two biggest things I did: 1) Asked my recommenders to look at my SoP; and 2) Refined my selection of schools to really get a good feel for fit -- which is to say, I honestly asked myself if I had a good reason to be applying to a particular school.  In a sense, it was very good thing that happened to me, because I wouldn't be where I'm at now if it hadn't happened (I look back at my first round school selection and wonder what I was thinking).

From what I've observed, a masters is probably very helpful.  My assumption is that at my school, the year I was admitted, they said "what if we experimented with letting in BA students this year?", since the other two students in my Film cohort also only have BA's, but just about everyone else recently admitted to the program, and the cohort before us, all have MA's.  I would advise, based on what I've heard these students say, to be very wary of going the "paid MA from a big name school" route, and consider the many funded or partially funded MA programs from non-name brand schools. We have people from both types in our program. 

Edited by jrockford27

10 hours ago, Falcore said:

Are there any funded MA programs you could recommend?

Hi falcore, I'm kind of in the same position as you are. I ended up applying to a mix of MAs and PhDs (UCLA, NYU, USC, Emory, Texas, a few others) but so far haven't gotten any good news back. I did find out (too late, unfortunately) that the University of Toronto offers a one-year program that provides tuition remittance and a $15k stipend. I haven't looked too hard into yet (not ready to get back into the work...), but I think other Canadian universities may have similar opportunities, so that may be what I will focus on the next round. 

Edit: I forgot to mention... I have dual Canadian-American citizenship... so options for international students at Canadian schools may be different. But still worth looking into!

Edited by larajean_p

Since I came straight out of my BA my knowledge is limited, but I'd recommend checking out NC State's masters program.  We have like three people in our PHD program who came out of that program.  While it's not funded straight up, they offer "assistantships to competitive applicants".  It's a school that doesn't have a brand name, but as far as I can tell, actually has a very good reputation within Film Studies (at least in our department).

Guest Grad19204

Ohio University

Emory

Washington University in St. Louis

DePaul

NC State

Buffalo

Colorado-Boulder (coming soon)

George Mason

Mosy of these are partially or fully funded. You should place calls to each department to make sure. I also don't know anything about programs in the West...

Yeah, we also have folks from Emory and Ohio University's MA programs in our program, solid, awesome folks.

And it seems like a very smart route.  When I arrived straight out of my BA, it took me a real long time to feel comfortable in seminars, and a real long time to get over imposter syndrome.  In my observation, the people who arrived with an MA seem much more capable of hitting the ground running and getting involved right away.  I suppose that should be a no-brainer though.  As I work my way through my comprehensive stuff right now, I kind of envy how in touch those people are with the field as a whole from the word go.

Long time reader, first time poster.

I too am, obviously, applying for some Film Studies programs and have only heard back bad news from the ones most on this thread have talked about. While its a long shot, I was wondering if anybody had any info about Berkeley? It seems--based on previous years--they're a bit late in terms of responses (or those that got in just aren't on here to post, perhaps). Likewise, if anyone has info to share about NYU or UC Santa Barbara, it would be much appreciated. It seems we're within their response times given previous years. I'm trying to not give up hope on this application cycle (given there's a few other I've applied to), but that seems to be dwindling with every day so I guess I'm looking for some decent news I suppose......

Hello, everyone. I've been reading over these threads for some years now, but finally applied to PhD and MA programs this past December. I too only have a BA, but in English. I applied to a mix of both MA and PhD programs. So far, I've only heard back from three schools: Brown (no), Madison (no), and Chicago. Chicago has forwarded my application to their MA Department. Their program looks like a one year program in which I would be taking classes along with their doctoral students. Based on some of the experience from previous posters, I noticed that it might just be in my best interest to obtain my MA first, then proceed with applying to PhD programs again after that. However, I realize that funding would be limited. If I'm accepted into their MA program, would any of you recommend taking up the offer?

Like many of you, I'm still awaiting decisions from other schools (Stanford, Yale, and a lot of UC schools). 

Guest Grad19204
7 minutes ago, aregina91 said:

Hello, everyone. I've been reading over these threads for some years now, but finally applied to PhD and MA programs this past December. I too only have a BA, but in English. I applied to a mix of both MA and PhD programs. So far, I've only heard back from three schools: Brown (no), Madison (no), and Chicago. Chicago has forwarded my application to their MA Department. Their program looks like a one year program in which I would be taking classes along with their doctoral students. Based on some of the experience from previous posters, I noticed that it might just be in my best interest to obtain my MA first, then proceed with applying to PhD programs again after that. However, I realize that funding would be limited. If I'm accepted into their MA program, would any of you recommend taking up the offer?

Like many of you, I'm still awaiting decisions from other schools (Stanford, Yale, and a lot of UC schools). 

I always recommend that people get their MA first. Unfortunately, UChicago's clever MAPH cash cow wouldn't be my top choice, particularly when it comes with a 50k price tag. Some fellowships are available, but I've heard they typically award them to direct applicants to the MAPH. 

Between MAPH and sitting out a year, I'd pick the latter.

2 hours ago, fs1991 said:

if anyone has info to share about NYU or UC Santa Barbara, it would be much appreciated. 

Berkeley hasn't sent anything out yet to my knowledge, and I know that NYU won't be informing anyone until March 1st.

It seems like you have a lot of experience with this stuff.... Do you think it's a good or bad thing that I still haven't heard from about eight of the schools I've applied to? I've heard of late rejections, but from what I've been reading on the forum is that some rejections were already sent out. I don't know what to make of this, being that this was my first year applying. I'm definitely stressing all of this, though...

Guest Grad19204
3 hours ago, aregina91 said:

It seems like you have a lot of experience with this stuff.... Do you think it's a good or bad thing that I still haven't heard from about eight of the schools I've applied to? I've heard of late rejections, but from what I've been reading on the forum is that some rejections were already sent out. I don't know what to make of this, being that this was my first year applying. I'm definitely stressing all of this, though...

I mean, it's not a bad thing because you're still in the running, as far as you know. Most offers are sent out early in the process, whilesome of the schools with tighter budgets typically take longer securing funding. This was the case with Pitt. I thought I had been rejected, but they were just trying to negotiate fellowship packages with the graduate school. I'm not sure how often these schools put you on a waitlist without notifying you, or why they would do that, but based on some late March/early April offers from previous years on the results page, I have to believe that it happens. I'm still waiting to hear back from NYU...

Edited by Grad19204
typo

7 hours ago, Falcore said:

Berkeley hasn't sent anything out yet to my knowledge, and I know that NYU won't be informing anyone until March 1st.

Thanks! I suppose the tenuous wait will continue for at least a week then, if not longer.....

How is everyone holding out? I was rejected from most of the PhD programs I applied to, as I expected. I'm still waiting to hear back from the MA programs I've applied to, some of which claim they'll reach out to me this week with a decision.

3 hours ago, aregina91 said:

How is everyone holding out? I was rejected from most of the PhD programs I applied to, as I expected. I'm still waiting to hear back from the MA programs I've applied to, some of which claim they'll reach out to me this week with a decision.

Personally, I've been rejected from a couple officially (and Northwestern I am assuming is imminent to join this list). Still waiting back on the programs at NYU, Iowa, Santa Barbara, Washington and Michigan. Having an MA already and watching all of these offers roll in, it's beginning to feel like I might have to go back to the drawing board and retool my applications for next cycle, but I suppose there's still hope despite the fact the silence is deafening......where are you waiting to hear from?

1 hour ago, fs1991 said:

Personally, I've been rejected from a couple officially (and Northwestern I am assuming is imminent to join this list). Still waiting back on the programs at NYU, Iowa, Santa Barbara, Washington and Michigan. Having an MA already and watching all of these offers roll in, it's beginning to feel like I might have to go back to the drawing board and retool my applications for next cycle, but I suppose there's still hope despite the fact the silence is deafening......where are you waiting to hear from?

39 minutes ago, Falcore said:

Got a rejection from Berkeley, just waiting on Northwestern, UCLA, Yale and NYU. All longshots. 

Santa Barbara will be sending out decisions this week or next week, so don't give up yet! I emailed the graduate director and asked, which is a great idea if you're waiting to hear from schools. I didn't receive many emails from UC schools, so until I called/emailed them, I had no idea what their decisions were. 

UCLA's MA program will be sending out decisions in April/May, which I was also told by a graduate director when I called last week. 

I was bummed about Berkeley rejecting me, too, but I kind of expected it. I don't currently have an MA, so I figured I'd lose out to those that do.

Other than UCLA and Santa Barbara, I'm waiting for a decision from Chicago and CUNY Grad. 

I applied to CUNY Grad over the weekend because I live in NY, and figured it'd be a good idea in case I get into an MA program with little/no funding. It's a cheaper alternative, and I wouldn't have to blow all of my savings on moving out of state, either. 

@fs1991 What do you have your MA in, and what would you look to change in your application? I figure if I have to overhaul my application, I'd probably do some major work on my personal statement/statement of purpose.

13 minutes ago, aregina91 said:

@fs1991 What do you have your MA in, and what would you look to change in your application? I figure if I have to overhaul my application, I'd probably do some major work on my personal statement/statement of purpose.

I have my MA in Cinema Studies. Honestly, there's a couple of things. I really regret not trying to get any of my written material published, or even presented, in this year off; I know only a fraction that make it into doctorate programs do so beforehand and it is not by any means required, but I can only imagine it gives a boost. I also have been contemplating whether or not I made a mistake in not reaching out to faculty during the process: one of my recommenders had suggested that in many cases this doesn't help, but I feel like it probably would have been a good idea to do because there was little risk to go along with it, even if nothing were to come of it.

More than anything, I think I probably could have tried to sell my fit better to each program: since my thesis was on a much more niche subject (and one that doesn't have much academic writing done on it relative to other topics) I tried to present it (both in the paper and in my letters) as a part of a broader topic I'm actually interested in. But, looking back, while each letter was obviously personalized for each program, I think I could have done an even better job presenting those interests in a manner that would have better reflected fit for each department. Of course, a part of the responses may or may not have been this just being a highly competitive cycle or due to other factors out of the control of anything I submitted. 

With five schools left, though, I am still hoping all of this second guessing doesn't come to fruition and I get into at least one program, but I think the less fortunate in this forum would probably all agree that when all you're hearing back is negative, it's incredibly difficult to stay positive even despite other people saying 'no news is good news' and the like. At the same time, I do think this presents a good opportunity to reflect on the process, and how I would have changed what I did, just in case I have to repeat next fall. 

Guest Grad19204
1 hour ago, Falcore said:

Got a rejection from Berkeley, just waiting on Northwestern, UCLA, Yale and NYU. All longshots. 

2 hours ago, fs1991 said:

Northwestern already held their interview weekend last week and called their admits yesterday. They picked 5 out of 12 interviewees. For some reason, they don't send out rejections until after the offers are out...

Just now, cikkatikkaskwarr said:

Northwestern already held their interview weekend last week and called their admits yesterday. They picked 5 out of 12 interviewees. For some reason, they don't send out rejections until after the offers are out...

This is what I figured, and why I called it imminent. It does still seem kind of odd to me that they wouldn't have sent out rejections beforehand, given how many more people they interview than they accept.

3 minutes ago, cikkatikkaskwarr said:

Sorry to send out two notifications, but since it seems you are at the top of the pack in terms of acceptances, I was wondering if you've heard anything back from NYU yet?

Guest Grad19204
Just now, fs1991 said:

Sorry to send out two notifications, but since it seems you are at the top of the pack in terms of acceptances, I was wondering if you've heard anything back from NYU yet?

I had a very lucky cycle. I haven't heard from NYU yet and I don't believe the results board. It seems a lot of people like lying about that school because I've called many times and have been repeatedly told that decisions have yet to be sent.

19 hours ago, cikkatikkaskwarr said:

I had a very lucky cycle. I haven't heard from NYU yet and I don't believe the results board. It seems a lot of people like lying about that school because I've called many times and have been repeatedly told that decisions have yet to be sent.

I see someone posted that they got a phone call about being on the shortlist, but other than that it seems fairly quiet. I'm going to assume that this might be another case of lying though unless someone on the board claims it.