uc berkeley vs. UCSD for Ethnic Studies

kitzi94

did you hear back from UCSD? I saw someone post on the result page that they've been admitted. I been waiting on their decision so I'm taking if you heard back and I haven't, then its a no.

It's a really good program. I think both Berkeley and UCSD have amazing Ethnic Studies programs.. both at the very top. At this point it comes down to how much in fellowships they are offering and your match in research. 

1 hour ago, Cindy Sin said:

did you hear back from UCSD? I saw someone post on the result page that they've been admitted. I been waiting on their decision so I'm taking if you heard back and I haven't, then its a no.

It's a really good program. I think both Berkeley and UCSD have amazing Ethnic Studies programs.. both at the very top. At this point it comes down to how much in fellowships they are offering and your match in research. 

yep, that was me on the results board. i'm not sure if they've sent out all decisions yet, though. are you applying to only ethnic studies?

I'm sure they probably sent out all acceptances. Oh well.

Yea I applied to Ethnic Studies, Gender Studies, and American studies programs. I got into an ethnic studies program with a 4 yr fellowship but I feel really bummed about it. It was on my top 5 but it was #5 so it would have been nice if I've got into any of my higher choices.

4 hours ago, Cindy Sin said:

I'm sure they probably sent out all acceptances. Oh well.

Yea I applied to Ethnic Studies, Gender Studies, and American studies programs. I got into an ethnic studies program with a 4 yr fellowship but I feel really bummed about it. It was on my top 5 but it was #5 so it would have been nice if I've got into any of my higher choices.

getting into any phd program (not to mention with funding!) is no small feat!! that is super awesome and impressive that you were accepted with a 4 year fellowship! i was super super bummed out about not getting into my top choice gender studies program, and after talking to both profs and students who have gone through the process, it seems that rejections do not mean you are not qualified, but that the program was just not the perfect fit, and that they can't nurture your research. i think programs do a good job of sorting out who belongs where. if you were accepted to a phd program you are obviously qualified, and everything comes down to fit. i hope this helps some. i know how much it sucks to get rejected from your top choices, but if you really dislike the program to which you've been accepted, you can always transfer!! sending lots of good vibes your way.

• 2 weeks later...
On February 11, 2016 at 10:26 AM, kitzi94 said:

wondering if anyone can weigh in on ucsd vs. uc berkeley for ethnic studies

If I were you, find the graduate students page and shoot them an email, they might give an insight on the program (e.g. funding, advisor relationships, etc.)