AM Harvard Stats vs. MS Chicago Stats

Hi everyone,

I have been accepted by both the Harvard and Chicago master's in statistics programs (gratefully). Looks like costs are going to be similar and I do not have a preference for either geographically. I am wondering if anyone has experience or has heard of others' experiences with either of these schools/programs that he or she would be willing to share. Any advice regarding this decision and the programs would be welcomed. Thank you in advance!

Note: I am not planning on doing my PhD in statistics. 

Edited by StatMaster2016

Hi StatMaster2016!

I was surprised to see that you have got the admissions decisions so early. Do you mind if I ask for your profile/statistics? I am a junior, and I am planning to apply this upcoming fall to Berkeley and Harvard. I would appreciate any information or recommendation.

Thanks!

Congratulations! I guess you cannot go wrong with either choice. From a purely academic point of view, I think most people would consider Chicago to have the stronger and more diverse Statistics department and for a PhD I would definitely go with Chicago (unless there was a particular faculty member I would like to work with at Harvard - as always). For a Master's degree, things are more subtle: Again from a purely academic point of view, I would choose Chicago, but connections and the name also matter a lot. I don't have any information regarding that and it might be advisable to ask people in the field and part of the world which you want to join later.

Edited by localfdr

• 1 month later...

If you want to go for a PhD in statistics, then Chicago's masters program is better preparation. The curriculum provides a better foundation in terms of theory and span than Harvard's. However, if you are not interested in a PhD, then I would do Harvard. Harvard has strong connections for placing students in industry ranging from public policy to biostatistics.