Visiting universities that haven't given me a response yet

JonS

Question

I'm an international math student who applied to five PhD programs in the US. I have been admitted to the University of Michigan and Purdue, but have not heard anything from the other three (Caltech, Brown and Stony Brook).

I'm planning to visit the University of Michigan in nearly two weeks from now for their recruitment weekend. Since I will be in New York first, visiting Stony Brook and Brown will be convenient enough. But that gives me less than two weeks to hear back from them and schedule meetings with the people that interest me. How long should I wait for a response before I contact them? Is it "normal" to visit a university you haven't been admitted to yet?

2 answers to this question

2 hours ago, JonS said:

I'm an international math student who applied to five PhD programs in the US. I have been admitted to the University of Michigan and Purdue, but have not heard anything from the other three (Caltech, Brown and Stony Brook).

I'm planning to visit the University of Michigan in nearly two weeks from now for their recruitment weekend. Since I will be in New York first, visiting Stony Brook and Brown will be convenient enough. But that gives me less than two weeks to hear back from them and schedule meetings with the people that interest me. How long should I wait for a response before I contact them? Is it "normal" to visit a university you haven't been admitted to yet?

looks like we're from the same country :P. I had the same issue. I heard back from all of my schools, except for CUNY. I am flying next week to Arizona's recruitment weekend, but stopping in NY. So I just emailed the DGS and asked what the status of my application is. I explained, of course, that I am coming from abroad and would not have another chance to fly to the US to visit. She got back to me the 2 days later that I've been wait listed, and recommended that I do visit. Now I need  to scramble to schedule meetings with professors in time for next week, and I hope I get to meet at least some of them.  

So I would recommend either emailing the DGS, or emailing your POI (if you have previously been in contact with them) and just explain the situation. At this point they should know more or less where your application stands, if not a final answer. 

Good luck! 

2 hours ago, vonham said:

So I would recommend either emailing the DGS, or emailing your POI (if you have previously been in contact with them) and just explain the situation. At this point they should know more or less where your application stands, if not a final answer. 

To quote you from another thread: "I feel uncomfortable emailing the POIs because it's not like I've previously communicated with them."

So I'll contact the DGS as you did, and hope for a timely reply. Thanks for the advice.