Writing Sample

Jennszoo

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what exactly is a writing sample? I am applying to 2 schools, one wants an SOP and one wants a writing sample. No mention of an SOP from that school. I dont have any academic writing (graduated 13 yrs ago), I could probably write an article regarding my current line of work and get it published by one of the non profits that I work with (in their newsletters, etc) but its not even close to related to my future program (childbirth vs. speech language pathology). Or do you think they are looking for something more SOP-like since they dont specifically require one?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what exactly is a writing sample? I am applying to 2 schools, one wants an SOP and one wants a writing sample. No mention of an SOP from that school. I dont have any academic writing (graduated 13 yrs ago), I could probably write an article regarding my current line of work and get it published by one of the non profits that I work with (in their newsletters, etc) but its not even close to related to my future program (childbirth vs. speech language pathology). Or do you think they are looking for something more SOP-like since they dont specifically require one?

In a writing sample they are usually just looking to see how well you can write. Personally, I would just write a paper analyzing a trend in SLP or analyzing a book dealing with SLP. Make it relevant and make it GOOD WRITING.

In the social sciences, humanities and some other areas, a writing sample is a written example of your ability to write about and examine a particular topic (or topics, i guess. as long as the whole piece is a cohesive work with a cohesive purpose). i'd say, you're usually making some sort of assertion or argument and/or developing a stepping stone for some original work that you may undertake at some other point of your academic life such as, for your dissertation or MA thesis.

you could create something from scratch right now or you could revive some old work from your undergraduate career. a paper from your undergraduate career would probably benefit from being updated according to the changes that have taken places in terms of the topic over the last 13 years.

remember, you just want to make sure that the writing shows that you can carry a thought, analytically examine a topic or topics, and make a cohesive point or have a cohesive purpose for writing on a topic.

good luck!

Edited by samjones