2010 Department of State Critical Language Scholarship

Current Korbel Student

Im thinking that Egpyt is probably def out of the mix... but who knows. Yea, I don't know if they are considering any NEW location additions. So the current options are listed on their website. And if there are mutliple locations where your language is taught, I think once you are accepted you are placed in a specific site sometime in March/April. But check the website, they have good info on there.

I would rather go to Jordan anyway, for dialect reasons. I expect Jordan and Morocco to stay on the list, but they'll need a third location (somewhere in the Gulf, maybe?). Alexandria and Cairo seem to be logical exclusions, sadly.

Hi All,

I applied to the beginning Hindi program, and I made it past the first round. Congratulations to all who have made it this far.

I am a socio grad student and I am writing my thesis based on fieldwork in NE India. It would be amazing to be able to study over the summer, since my work is at the community-level.

Best of luck to you all.

I don't know when we'll hear... Initially they said late March, then bumped it up to mid-February. I'm trying not to get impatient until the end of Feb., but it's hard! I've got my fingers crossed.

I applied for advanced Chinese, and made it past the first round. Any other Chinese applicants on the board? I have fairly extensive previous experience doing language immersion programs in China already, but I think I made a strong case for why another one would be directly beneficial to my career plans. Does anyone know if there is any kind of bias against accepting people who have already done similar programs? I guess I'll find out soon enough, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Best of luck to you all!

I don't know when we'll hear... Initially they said late March, then bumped it up to mid-February. I'm trying not to get impatient until the end of Feb., but it's hard! I've got my fingers crossed.

I applied for advanced Chinese, and made it past the first round. Any other Chinese applicants on the board? I have fairly extensive previous experience doing language immersion programs in China already, but I think I made a strong case for why another one would be directly beneficial to my career plans. Does anyone know if there is any kind of bias against accepting people who have already done similar programs? I guess I'll find out soon enough, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Best of luck to you all!

Hey, brandte. I applied for advanced Chinese as well. I have a year of immersion experience in China, so I'm also a bit uncertain about what that means for my chances. Have you taken the HSK or any similar tests? Hopefully we'll find out in the next few days.

Hey, brandte. I applied for advanced Chinese as well. I have a year of immersion experience in China, so I'm also a bit uncertain about what that means for my chances. Have you taken the HSK or any similar tests? Hopefully we'll find out in the next few days.

Nice! Best of luck to you! I spent 8 months doing 3 different immersion programs in 2010. Was going to take the HSK when I got back to the States, but never got around to it. How about you?

Applied for Beginning Urdu and am antsy for a decision...

Incidentally, I just got back from a year and a half in China on a research grant. I spent part of it up in Harbin and the rest in Beijing. Do they still have the CLS Harbin? I met some alumni of that program.

Best of luck to you all.

Talked to them on Friday because I have an exploding offer that I have to decide on for funding that isn't quite as attractive. They said not by Monday, but certainly by Friday, and possibly by midweek.

Then again, Monday would be great.

Edited by JBrodsky

Talked to them on Friday because I have an exploding offer that I have to decide on for funding that isn't quite as attractive. They said not by Monday, but certainly by Friday, and possibly by midweek.

Yea thanks! At least now I wont have to sit on pins and needles all Monday and Tuesday!

I did one of these for Arabic a few years ago, but I can't find the notification associated with it... What time of day do you think it will come?

Being obsessive, I know, but I've had to beg to get my decision window for this other thing extended. Blah.

You're awesome, thanks for this tidbit. Honestly, I wasn't getting my hopes up for an answer before the end of the month, so this is great news. Ready to solidify my summer plans.

I SO wish I had read your post this morning instead of obsessively refreshing my e-mail all day long... Thanks for the update! (I am waiting to hear for beginning Hindi.)

I SO wish I had read your post this morning instead of obsessively refreshing my e-mail all day long... Thanks for the update! (I am waiting to hear for beginning Hindi.)

ah! i applied for beginning hindi too! hopefully we both get it! good luck :)

I am studying MA sociology, with a focus on pilgrimage/tourism in India, at a state school in NC.

I love it so far, but I am the only one in the department with research interests in S Asia. The program is short (2 years), so I am looking forward to maybe attending a PhD program with a focus on S Asian language and culture.

Best of luck to you! It would be so cool if the three of us got this, and we could meet up in "real life."

I am working on my MA in European history and hope to go forward at the PhD level to study early modern European maritime empires in India, especially the Portuguese. Best wishes to you both. I know I sure could use some good news!