Does this mean I have a shot?

kpkpkp

Question

"At this time, we are unable to offer you an admission to our graduate school. The situation may change in early April, and I will email you to let you know either way."

So...for the sake of my sanity I'm considering this a rejection, but does it mean I have a chance? Its from my top choice program. I'm interpreting it as I'm on a shortlist- they made offers to the people they really want, based on if they accept/reject the offers, I get or don't get one?

I've got a couple offers and I really don't want to leave anyone hanging, how long should I hold out for this place? 

2 answers to this question

16 minutes ago, kpkpkp said:

"At this time, we are unable to offer you an admission to our graduate school. The situation may change in early April, and I will email you to let you know either way."

So...for the sake of my sanity I'm considering this a rejection, but does it mean I have a chance? Its from my top choice program. I'm interpreting it as I'm on a shortlist- they made offers to the people they really want, based on if they accept/reject the offers, I get or don't get one?

I've got a couple offers and I really don't want to leave anyone hanging, how long should I hold out for this place? 

It means you are on the wait list - if an accepted student refuses the offer, you might get called in..However, your chances depend on the number of people the school has put on the wait list. Some schools rank the wait list so people in top positions gets called first..some schools dont rank the list and have their own mysterious ways of offering spots to students...But to answer your question, yes, you definitely do have a shot at this school! But nothing is guranteed...It's basically in the hands of your lucky stars!

Whether you take this shot or not is entirely upto you..I guess it depends on how badly you want to go to this school...If you really want to take this chance, you might want to write to the DGS expressing your interest; you can also politely inquire about your rank in the waitlist, the cohort size...Then, pray that the right stars will align for you! Goodluck!

7 hours ago, hello_kitty said:

It means you are on the wait list - if an accepted student refuses the offer, you might get called in..However, your chances depend on the number of people the school has put on the wait list. Some schools rank the wait list so people in top positions gets called first..some schools dont rank the list and have their own mysterious ways of offering spots to students...But to answer your question, yes, you definitely do have a shot at this school! But nothing is guranteed...It's basically in the hands of your lucky stars!

Whether you take this shot or not is entirely upto you..I guess it depends on how badly you want to go to this school...If you really want to take this chance, you might want to write to the DGS expressing your interest; you can also politely inquire about your rank in the waitlist, the cohort size...Then, pray that the right stars will align for you! Goodluck!

This is so stressful! I don't want to bother the professor so I think I'll just wait this one out. Thanks for your help.