April 15th Deadline

hmartin18

Question

I've heard a lot about the April 15th deadline, meaning you must accept by this date. I have 3 schools that I applied for saying that I will know by April 10th in the latest. However the 4th school I applied for, that is my NUMBER ONE choice, I don't interview with till April 12th. What is the likely hood that they will tell me by the 15th my admission status. How does that work? Let say I decline my other offers because I haven't heard back by the number one choice school but then get rejected and I don't go to grad school at all. Yet I would also hate to take an offer then find out 2 weeks later I have an even better one at my top choice school and etc. Any advice? 

1 answer to this question

That's a difficult position. Have you checked grad café results for the program for the past couple years? You might be able to find out from there how quickly they'll let you know after the interview.

You might also just want to straight up ask the program when they'll let you know. Just be honest and tell them that you have other offers (that have a deadline) but are still very interested in them. 

I would also recommend asking your #2 choice for an extension--they might not grant it, but it likely won't hurt to ask. I think it's be prudent to decline the other two offers you know you won't accept by the April 15th deadline.

I think that accepting an offer and declining it later is an extremely undesirable option and you should do what you can to avoid that situation.

Edited by ClassApp