Low GPA MPP/IR programs

adh1234

Question

What are some respectable MPP/IR programs to look at with a low GPA? Cumulative (2.78) Major (3.3) ?? Current undergrad. Looking somewhere in Northeast. Preferably D.C. or NYC. Trying to get into upper-level public service. 

1 answer to this question

Might be kind of an out-of-the-box suggestion but I was also trying to do politics/public policy and my GPA from undergrad wasn't as high as I wanted it to be for the programs I wanted to do - my solution was to look overseas for masters programs.

I assumed (and was correct, I think) that being an international student (especially since EU students often don't pay fees at European universities) would give me an edge to get into a better school abroad than I could at home. And having a degree from  a different country gave me a second edge  when I was applying for policy jobs when I got home, as it set me apart from other applicants. 

There are GREAT schools in the UK, Ireland, the Netherlands, Germany etc. where you can get a good public policy masters that will translate well into jobs back home. Plus it's WAY cheaper than getting it in the US and you get the added experience of living abroad! It's a win-win-win. 

I know you said you're looking to be in NY or DC, but I just thought I'd throw this out there as it certainly worked for me and I think it's something most people don't think about!