Bioengineering - Research Master vs PhD

walter.white

I have been admitted to two schools and the situation is:

A) 1-year Master programme (industry-oriented research) - University of Rochester

Partial scholarship and after that it costs around 30k

I have accepted their offer.

B ) 4-year PhD programme - National University of Singapore

Full scholarship + stipends, housing

Talked to PI and received offer after acceptance to A.

Considering I am okay with both of the programmes and schools.. but im more concerned with the duration and employment.

Taking A, I can probably find a job right after since it provides great career support throughout the programme. And since my family is paying my tuition (which is kind of a burden to them), by the end of the programme I would have to pay them back and save $ at the same time which may delay my life plan (e.g. building my family, housing etc)

While B is very attractive to me and it imposes less burden on my family. (and of course, i would have to break the "contract" with A which is really bad) but since its a PhD programme, I am not sure if i want to stay in the academia and getting a job seems to be tougher with such high qualification.. and by that time i will be 26 already

Can someone give me some advice?

Im so struggled and its a really tough call...

Edited by walter.white

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/04/2016 at 8:55 PM, walter.white said:

I have been admitted to two schools and the situation is:

A) 1-year Master programme (industry-oriented research) - University of Rochester

Partial scholarship and after that it costs around 30k

I have accepted their offer.

B ) 4-year PhD programme - National University of Singapore

Full scholarship + stipends, housing

Talked to PI and received offer after acceptance to A.

Considering I am okay with both of the programmes and schools.. but im more concerned with the duration and employment.

Taking A, I can probably find a job right after since it provides great career support throughout the programme. And since my family is paying my tuition (which is kind of a burden to them), by the end of the programme I would have to pay them back and save $ at the same time which may delay my life plan (e.g. building my family, housing etc)

While B is very attractive to me and it imposes less burden on my family. (and of course, i would have to break the "contract" with A which is really bad) but since its a PhD programme, I am not sure if i want to stay in the academia and getting a job seems to be tougher with such high qualification.. and by that time i will be 26 already

Can someone give me some advice?

Im so struggled and its a really tough call...

If I was making that decision I will not hesitate but  choice National University of Singapore. You have to make sure you make the right decision here. Goodluck