Terminal MA: CSULA vs SFSU

Watashi

I've heard rumors that Fraassen will not be returning to SFSU, and considering that, if I am interested in philosophy of language, philosophy of mathematics, and logic, is CSULA now a better choice if the end goal is getting into the best Phd program for these specialties?

SFSU is said to have a better placement record than CSULA, but I contacted their graduate coordinator and couldn't get any information besides what was already in the unhelpful aggregate listed on their website.

There is also the option of taking courses at Berkeley if you are at SFSU, and courses at UCLA if you are at CSULA. Not sure how much of a difference this makes with phil. language and logic, but it looks like Berkeley has an edge over UCLA when it comes to philosophy of mathematics.

Thoughts?

I'd suggest that UCLA edges out Berkeley in language, especially given that its linguistics department is absolutely top-tier. Of course, I may be biased since I'm going there.

Would you be able to take classes at USC? That's also in LA. And if there are faculty at UCLA or USC who you may be interested in, maybe you could have them as external advisors? That would definitely be a leg up.

• 1 month later...