Eastern European Studies Programs?

It really depends on what your research interests and professional ambitions are. Without knowing any details about your preferences, the usual suspects I'd say. Harvard, Yale, Stanford and Columbia have amazing programs in European (East) and Russian Studies. Although you should keep in mind that those programs are very different from each other and you should find the one that best fits your academic goals. Some focus more on the social sciences (such as Yale) and others focus more on the humanities (such as Stanford from what I've heard). Apart from those schools, I've heard that WIsconsin, Illinois and Georgetown also offer great regional courses. I really cannot be any more specific without knowing more about you and your interests. 

Edited by Rising

11 hours ago, Rising said:

It really depends on what your research interests and professional ambitions are. Without knowing any details about your preferences, the usual suspects I'd say. Harvard, Yale, Stanford and Columbia have amazing programs in European (East) and Russian Studies. Although you should keep in mind that those programs are very different from each other and you should find the one that best fits your academic goals. Some focus more on the social sciences (such as Yale) and others focus more on the humanities (such as Stanford from what I've heard). Apart from those schools, I've heard that WIsconsin, Illinois and Georgetown also offer great regional courses. I really cannot be any more specific without knowing more about you and your interests. 

Thanks for the info! I'm mainly interested in programs that have a strong sociocultural focus and allow for the study of Ukrainian.  

4 hours ago, Dreamer23 said:

Thanks for the info! I'm mainly interested in programs that have a strong sociocultural focus and allow for the study of Ukrainian.  

I see, well, you might find this thread useful: 

Most schools offer Ukrainian classes, it is an enormous country and studying Ukrainian became quite topical in the past 3 years. So you should not have problems with that no matter which of the above you choose. I applied for Fall 2016 and as far as I know, all of them offer Ukrainian classes. You might want to look at Stanford, though. Their program is 1 year (unlike most of the others in this field) and they do take a sociocultural perspective. There are also some great programs outside US. For instance, Oxford and Leiden have very good experts in this field and they both emphasize heavily on the cultural aspect. 

Edited by Rising

• 4 weeks later...

Having done research on some of the top programs in the field, does anyone have suggestions in terms of mid-tier schools that offer master's programs in Eastern European Studies?