Housing for Online MA Program

BrittneyKirkpatrick

Question

I am looking at applying to an online MA speech-language pathology program, seems how I am currently wait-listed to two programs. However, this would require me living with my parents for two years in a rural area, with limited internet access. It would more beneficial and less stressful for me to live elsewhere but I do not have private funding for it. My question is, does anyone know if there is a way to apply for student loans for housing if you do an online program? I currently do this for my on-campus, undergraduate program but I'm unsure if you can with an online program. 

Edited by BrittneyKirkpatrick

1 answer to this question

For US federal student loans (which are usually significantly less expensive than private loans),  the accreditation status of the school/program in combination with your/your families tax info. will determine eligibility. Private loans, through your/your families bank are another option, and they usually have less restrictions-personally, I would not go that route, but to each their own. 

The best place to get info specific to your situation will be the school's financial aid office. 

See here for more info: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/prepare-for-college/choosing-schools/consider

Something to consider: Will the estimated income from a job this degree qualifies you for be enough to cover living expenses and repayment of your educational loans/other debts? If not, you may be better served taking a year to strengthen your profile and apply to funded programs.