Applying for Fall 2010 Music Megathread

Timothy Vallier

Sorry about northwestern, soclose. And good luck with Duke Timothy! I was wait-listed at Duke last year, but didn't make the cut. Hopefully it'll work out better for you

Jose, just out of curiosity:

When did Duke notify you that you were wait listed?

When did they finally tell you that you were no longer on the wait list?

Thanks,

TV

Edited by Timothy Vallier

Doctoral Writing Examination:

All doctoral applicants are required to complete the Doctoral Writing Examination as part of the admissions process. The results of this examination will figure in the admissions decision. Remedial coursework may be required.

From temple's website. I'm guessing he was invited to take this exam.

When did Duke notify you that you were wait listed?

When did they finally tell you that you were no longer on the wait list?

Thanks,

TV

They sent me an email on March 3 notifying me that I was placed on the wait list, and sent the rejection email on April 6.

In case anyone else is curious, I also got rejection emails last year from NYU on March 23, and from Princeton on February 23.

Edited by jose

They sent me an email on March 3 notifying me that I was placed on the wait list, and sent the rejection email on April 6.

In case anyone else is curious, I also got rejection emails last year from NYU on March 23, and from Princeton on February 23.

Thanks Jose,

Having a time-line can help many other people!

Soclose - thanks! That was me that posted a Cornell acceptance:) I'm on cloud 9 right now, after spending the last week freaking out about not having heard from places. So hang in there everyone else who's hating the waiting game.

Timothy - fyi, Duke's letting in 2 composition students this year apparently. I applied there for Musicology and got an email saying that they're not letting in any Musicologists this year because they let in a lot last year & so are giving the 2 available spots to composition people.

Congratulations on Cornell!!!!!! I just heard from CUNY yesterday: I got an informal email from a prof accepting me. Unfortunately Grad Cafe posted the acceptance as Ethnomusicolo...

The waiting game is awful, and I'm sort of outraged on your behalf mus68...you wasted your time and $$ applying to Duke, and they didn't have any openings? That's just not right.

Soclose - thanks! That was me that posted a Cornell acceptance:) I'm on cloud 9 right now, after spending the last week freaking out about not having heard from places. So hang in there everyone else who's hating the waiting game.

Timothy - fyi, Duke's letting in 2 composition students this year apparently. I applied there for Musicology and got an email saying that they're not letting in any Musicologists this year because they let in a lot last year & so are giving the 2 available spots to composition people.

Wow, two spots... That would explain why I am currently not on the short list. Thanks for the info, and serious congratulations on Cornell.

Congratulations on Cornell!!!!!! I just heard from CUNY yesterday: I got an informal email from a prof accepting me. Unfortunately Grad Cafe posted the acceptance as Ethnomusicolo...

The waiting game is awful, and I'm sort of outraged on your behalf mus68...you wasted your time and $ applying to Duke, and they didn't have any openings? That's just not right.

Unfortunately many schools pull this stunt and in more areas than music. At the very least they could offer a partial or full refund of your application fee.

I just noticed that someone posted in the results page that they were waitlisted by Duke for PhD in music composition. Was that anyone in this thread? If so, give us some details. Thanks.

Hello, I am new to the thread. I received a form email directing me to the website where it informed me of my wait list status. I'm hopeful, and now just have to wait it out.

Otherwise, I applied to Indiana University Jacobs School of Music, Harvard, and UC San Diego. Good luck to everyone!

Bryan

Good luck Bryan! Would you be willing to share some music from your portfolio with us? I'm always curious to get a taste for other applicants' compositions (it usually just makes me even more anxious, but it's still fun)

Good luck Bryan! Would you be willing to share some music from your portfolio with us? I'm always curious to get a taste for other applicants' compositions (it usually just makes me even more anxious, but it's still fun)

Thanks, Jose! Sure, you can check out a few of my recent works on my website at http://www.bryanchristian.net. I submitted Aquae fontes, Ego dormio, et cor meum vigilat, and Vespers, all of which I wrote last year while in Estonia.

A bit about me: I did my undergraduate degree in composition at Indiana University and this year I will complete my second MA in composition at UC San Diego. Last year I was on a Fulbright grant to Estonia, where I earned my first MA. Soon enough, I’ll see what’s next!

Forgive me if I overlooked it (this thread is long), but where did you apply?

Good luck!

Bryan

Just a little note: I received an email stating that Brown University (ethnomusicology track) will give the results tonight at 5:15PM.

Good Luck everyone!

Well, never mind, I was rejected quite strongly: "The majority of those who apply to the Graduate School have strong qualifications and demonstrate an ability to do advanced academic work. We regret that... bla bla bla" --> so i don't ? So gentle, it's unbelievable !!! In addition, they never ever responded to any email, letter, phone call, neither to me nor two of my professors who contacted them... Fine.

Good Bye Brown :))

Well, never mind, I was rejected quite strongly: "The majority of those who apply to the Graduate School have strong qualifications and demonstrate an ability to do advanced academic work. We regret that... bla bla bla" --> so i don't ? So gentle, it's unbelievable !!! In addition, they never ever responded to any email, letter, phone call, neither to me nor two of my professors who contacted them... Fine.

Good Bye Brown :))

Sorry about the bad news musico. It seems like they might have had some people already in mind long before you or your professors tried to contact them. Just a few questions:

1. When did you first make contact with them?

2. When did your professors contact them?

"The majority of those who apply to the Graduate School have strong qualifications and demonstrate an ability to do advanced academic work. We regret that... bla bla bla" --> so i don't ?

I read that as "it's not that you don't have strong qualifications and demonstrate an ability to do advanced academic work, but..." Either way, I'm sorry to hear that.

I am curious about contacting programs. I have always been under the impression that schools prefer applicants to let the process just happen. Is there a protocol that I am not aware of? Can I contact these places and have that work to my advantage?

Sorry about the bad news musico. It seems like they might have had some people already in mind long before you or your professors tried to contact them. Just a few questions:

1. When did you first make contact with them?

2. When did your professors contact them?

Thanks for your reply Timothy !

I first made contact with them in October, and one professor tried in November, the other one in December... I was not fond of the program anyway, but I just expected "some kind of reply", just to personalize the application a little bit. There is one person in this thread who thought the the program was not that great, if I remember well...

I guess Yale and Princeton are gonna come soon, and those are more important to me, as I could make contact with both, and i really loved both program really much.

Thanks for your reply Timothy !

I first made contact with them in October, and one professor tried in November, the other one in December... I was not fond of the program anyway, but I just expected "some kind of reply", just to personalize the application a little bit. There is one person in this thread who thought the the program was not that great, if I remember well...

I guess Yale and Princeton are gonna come soon, and those are more important to me, as I could make contact with both, and i really loved both program really much.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad news too musico. I know it sucks to get a rejection, but you wana go somewhere where the profs really want you and will make the utmost effort to help you progress in your career, and I doubt people who won't respond to your attempts at contact would give you the support you need. I've been told by many profs that getting in contact is a great way to help personalize your app, so I think you definately did the right thing! However, having said that, I wouldn't worry too much about not getting in contact Soclose, plenty of people don't & it's not expected at most places. Plus the whole meeting profs in person / corresponding via email deal was pretty scary, I worried so much about creating bad impressions!!

I'm waiting on Yale and Princeton too...I'll update as soon as I hear anything. I hope everyone gets some good news soon!

Lot's of rejections for music yesterday and today. How is everyone holding up? Hopefully a whole slew of acceptances are just around the corner for everyone in this thread.

I gave both Temple and Princeton a call and they told me to expect to hear back last week of Feb or first week of March. If anyone has any new info, fill us all in! Has anyone been getting e-mails from Princeton?

My friend did take the test for Temple's Presidential funding, and it sounds as though they are offering it to him. It also looks like Eastman is interested, as is he, so Temple's funding will still probably be available.