PhD Microbiology with my low GPA

NCspawn

Hi everyone, I joined this forum because I am properly worried about my chances at PhD. I initially wanted to pursue clinical lab science and I took all those classes only to realized that I did not have any ounce of passion towards it and got mediocre grades which obviously lowered my GPA. I am quite certain my passion is in molecular biology/environmental microbiology. My question is would I even have any chance at some PhD programs in microbiology? I know I won't be getting into high tier universities, which I realize, but what about some of the relatively less "renowned" universities?

My stats:

Good State school

3.1 uGrad GPA in Microbiology

2x Deans List

6 Months undergrad research in a microbiology lab 

1 semester TA for undergrad biology course

3 months as intern in biotech company

GRE - will take at end of summer

LOR - 1 from my PI, 1 from the chair of microbiology at my school, and 1 from the professor I worked for as a TA. I know my PI and the chair will write great letters at the very least. 

Note : I will be taking a gap year and will be volunteering in my current research lab so I will have approximately 1 year and 6-8 months before theoretically getting into a PhD program next Fall. I will also add 2 semesters as a volunteer TA in micro classes. 

As stated before, I won't be applying to universities such as UCSF, Stanford, Harvard, etc etc... but what about UNLV, UCRiverside, UCSanta Cruz, UNC-Chapel Hill, Oregon State, University of Oregon and so on....?

Please help a confused recent graduate out! :D

Thank you in advance.

I don't have any tried and successful advice for you, but just wanted to let you know I'm in a similar situation!  I've been a med tech for three years now and I'm hoping to get into grad school in the next few years as well.  my current plan is to try to find a job as a research tech, and possibly finish a masters degree to improve my chances.

hope it works out!

3.1 is not a terrible GPA per se. However, even 1.5 years of research experience is not much. Also, it's always preferable for letters to come from people you did research. Because of this, I'd suggest that you either do a Master's or get a tech position in a new lab, where you'll learn new techniques and, hopefully, get a rec letter from someone new. 

32 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

3.1 is not a terrible GPA per se. However, even 1.5 years of research experience is not much. Also, it's always preferable for letters to come from people you did research. Because of this, I'd suggest that you either do a Master's or get a tech position in a new lab, where you'll learn new techniques and, hopefully, get a rec letter from someone new. 

I agree. This is a rare time in which I would suggest pursuing a Master's. You need to prove that you can succeed in difficult courses and that you can produce data worthy of a thesis. 

Unless you have an "in" at a doctoral program, I would not expect to get an offer this cycle. You should apply to a few PhD programs as well as a few Master's programs. You might be surprised by a PhD offer, but worst case you will be able to start a Master's. 

Thank you so much! @blc073 and @Bioenchilada! I know this question may have already been factored into your answers, but what if I get decent scores on the GRE like approximately 80% for both M/V? Also, for my letters I can always get the CEO of the biotech company I worked with as we were quite fond of each other during my times there and I know he would be a great reference. 

I will definitely add masters programs to my list of applications though!

4 minutes ago, NCspawn said:

Thank you so much! @blc073 and @Bioenchilada! I know this question may have already been factored into your answers, but what if I get decent scores on the GRE like approximately 80% for both M/V? Also, for my letters I can always get the CEO of the biotech company I worked with as we were quite fond of each other during my times there and I know he would be a great reference. 

I will definitely add masters programs to my list of applications though!

As you make your application stronger, you will increase the chances of being pleasantly surprised in April. But I would still apply to a few Master's programs.