Applying graduate School

matts

Question

Hi! I want to apply a graduate school in the USA. I finished math, my sertificate grade is 2.89 over 4. I do not know it is low or high for registering a state university. I want to study educational subject for master but i did not choose yet. I need useful universities which are in texas because my bother settled there. Any suggestion ?

3 answers to this question

Just a few questions for you: Is "certificate grade" similar to GPA (grade point average)? If so, that's unfortunately probably going to be considered a low number. It depends on the program you are looking at. Might be doable if you have other impressive experiences, however many graduate programs require a minimum GPA of a 3.0, so you will need to do some research to see if you're eligible to apply for anything that interests you. Some allow applicants with as low as 2.75 or so, but higher GPAs will be considered more competitive.

Do you have a bachelors degree?

Are you looking for a PhD (~6 years) or a Masters (2 years) Program?

I live in Texas, so here's a list of state schools to look into:

The University of Texas (there are many campuses, including Austin, San Antonio, Tyler, El Paso, Permian Basin...)

Texas A&M (again, more than one campus),

Texas Tech

Texas State

University of North Texas

University of Houston

Check those out to start. UT is quite competitive, followed by A&M, then the others. Best of luck! Texas is a good place to be.

On 30.06.2016 at 11:46 PM, UTGC said:

Just a few questions for you: Is "certificate grade" similar to GPA (grade point average)? If so, that's unfortunately probably going to be considered a low number. It depends on the program you are looking at. Might be doable if you have other impressive experiences, however many graduate programs require a minimum GPA of a 3.0, so you will need to do some research to see if you're eligible to apply for anything that interests you. Some allow applicants with as low as 2.75 or so, but higher GPAs will be considered more competitive.

Do you have a bachelors degree?

Are you looking for a PhD (~6 years) or a Masters (2 years) Program?

I live in Texas, so here's a list of state schools to look into:

The University of Texas (there are many campuses, including Austin, San Antonio, Tyler, El Paso, Permian Basin...)

Texas A&M (again, more than one campus),

Texas Tech

Texas State

University of North Texas

University of Houston

Check those out to start. UT is quite competitive, followed by A&M, then the others. Best of luck! Texas is a good place to be.

Dear UTGC,what about University of Texas,San Antonio and University of Texas,San Arlington, can i get admitted there with 2.68/4 undergrad gpa and 3.79/4?

If 2.79 is your undergrad GPA, what is the 3.79 for? A masters?

I just checked the UT San Antonio site for their PhD in Educational Leadership, and they require a minimum undergrad GPA of 3.5 to even apply (and a resume showing work experience in education). This may not specifically be the program you'd apply to (there are a few other ones related to education), so you should do your own investigating too. Maybe even get in touch with the program director to see if you are competitive.

UT Arlington seems to require a minimum 3.0 to apply for a Masters. Don't know about PhD, but I'm sure it's similar. The only education PhD they have seems to be Ed Leadership (K-16), which may not be what you want. They have several masters though.