NDSEG 2007

ZachAJ

Congrats to those who won.

Yeh, I'm also an alternate, but I can't imagine our chances are very high. Why would anyone turn down the first round? There are very few fellowships that pay more, and there are no obligations associated with this. Any ideas?

I was curious how many applicants applied? Im my acceptance email they said "Your application was selected by the ONR from over 3,400 applications that were received this year." I assume that they divided up our applications and sent it off to different DOD departments .... does anyone know... i ma just curious...

Best of luck to you all.

I was also selected to receive an award by the ONR, however my current work and research statement were aligned with ONR objectives. One of the hurdles to overcome with the NDSEG (as I see it) is to show that your graduate school goals are aligned with objectives of a particular branch of DoD, rather than say the NSF fellowship, which is application agnostic. So, I don't believe the NDSEG just "divides up our applications". I believe each branch has overlapping yet different goals which are reflected in the applicant pool.

Congrats to those who won.

Yeh, I'm also an alternate, but I can't imagine our chances are very high. Why would anyone turn down the first round? There are very few fellowships that pay more, and there are no obligations associated with this. Any ideas?

The DoD acquires a royalty free license to any inventions conceived during the fellowship appointment, so some awardees may be turned off by this restriction. In my view, this is an acceptable tradeoff for the stipend and larger tuition benefits over the NSF, but some may not agree.

To those of you who were initially designated as alternates,

please post here when you receive the final e-mail fom ASEE.

Hopefully, this will happen soon.

Good luck, and congrats to those who already won!

Well, I'm relieved to find out that ASEE cannot fund me. No more waiting and anticipation. This semester has been far too exciting.

Now I have nothing left to do except accept my NSF Fellowship and graduate.

:D

Yes, I know you can postpone acceptance of the NSF funding for two years if you receive another fellowship. I only meant to imply that I no longer have to worry about this complication now that I know that I didn't receive an NDSEG Fellowship.