When to tell potential advisor about deferral

fizzycist

Question

Background: I was accepted into my alma mater for an MS in MechE for fall 2016 after graduating with a BS in physics (Dec 2015). I got a really great job in a very related field so I chose to defer until Fall 2017.

Before I graduated, I was doing a project with a professor in the Mech E department and we spoke about possibilities for a grad project. He knew I was applying, but I didn't let him know I got accepted because I was at my job and we hadn't had a meeting since December and no correspondence after I graduated. (I didn't do much for him, just support on a project with some other undergrads) Is this a good time to email him and let him know? Am I too late? Or should I wait until the summer is over/school is back in session? I never solidified any plans with him, it was all a very "if you get in" discussion. I know he is in the office with his grad students because I am still on the lab email list and he occasionally sends "out of office" emails. 

Just not sure if I'm too late to email him or if he will even get back to me since it's summer. I guess I'll send an email now and if he doesn't reply, resend when the quarter starts again?

1 answer to this question

It seems that you are not getting any answers, perhaps because it's not entirely what the question is. I have to admit that I am confused about the context for this potential email and what you want to accomplish with it. Maybe you can clarify.