What is the correct or best decision?

bsteinma

Please bear with me as I explain my issues and questions.

I graduated a week ago with a B.S.E. in Biomedical Engineering. I started a little bit later than I probably should have with the process of choosing an applying to graduate schools and won't put the blame on anyone but myself but wish I had been more informed about the process and what it entailed. Anyway, although I have foreseen myself pursuing graduate studies it also seems natural that it would be the right thing to do.

I have taken the GRE twice - both times receiving scores that are far below the recommended scores for engineering graduate programs. No matter how much studying I've done and how well I do in my practice, I have received about the same scores. I believe I'd do better at a paper based test (i.e. I honestly hate the computer based test for the quantitative section because it takes away my ability to reason through problems on paper right next to the problem statement) and that most of my trouble was in time management. Both attempts at the test left me either guessing on a handful of problems at the end or not even finishing the test. I know this likely hurt my score quite a bit. After my second attempt there was not enough time to recover and take the test again in time to have my scores submitted to graduate schools. If I were, but I can't, to do this over again I'd probably take the GRE early in my undergraduate years so I'd have plenty of time to get the scores I need. I have submitted one application and plan to submit a couple more and take my chances. I had a 3.6 GPA, graduated on the Dean's list, and have had quite a bit of research experience in the past 4.5 years. I remain positive that my resume will at least take some of the focus away from my low GRE scores, but I am prepared to hear news that I don't get admitted to any of the programs.

With that in mind, I am not really sure what I should do in the meantime. I have become more concerned about funding my graduate education and know that I will probably not receive as much help because of my low GRE scores. I have also become concerned about whether I should hold off and see if an employer will help pay. What are the chances that an employer would help pay for an advanced degree in engineering? I'm afraid that if an employer did send me back to school that they'd probably be sending me back for an MBA. Also raising concern is whether I should just pursue my masters or a PhD. I realize it'd possibly be cheaper to get a PhD because of the funding.

Although I am already half a year behind my peers and didn't want to get farther behind by taking another year off before going to graduate school I am optimistic that a year off would give me the chance to research more schools and choose the school I want to go to (e.g. based on the qualities, area, etc.) rather than the school I can go to because they are the only one that accepted me. Should I take this extra year off to retake the GRE, research schools, and continue to prepare? If yes, what should I do in the next year to prepare myself? Also if I take this year off of school, what do I do about employment? I'm soon going to have to start paying off my loans and continue to pay bills on top of other expenses so I can't just not do anything. But I also don't know if finding a job in the engineering industry would be a good idea if I want to go to graduate school (i.e. I'm afraid I would get sucked in and lose sight of my goal for graduate school).

I'm sure I am leaving some concerns and questions out of this discussion, but it is already a bit lengthy so I will add to the discussion as I get repsonses. I will be very appreciative of any advice because I am truly stuck in a situation where I am going "What now?" and have lacked the guidance I need from my academic advisor and other mentors alike. My parents have been a huge help but they can only do so much.

Than You,

bsteinma

• 5 weeks later...

I think you may be placing too much emphasis on the GRE. From what I've heard, the GRE is not the be all and end all of graduate acceptance in engineering. If you have a strong application otherwise, which it sounds like you do, I think you should get into some programs; maybe not MIT, but certainly some decent ones. A 3.6 GPA isn't incredible, but I think it's certainly enough to get accepted somewhere. If you don't get into grad school this year, I think you should either get a job or re-evaluate the schools you applied to and try again next year. It sounds like you have strong credentials, and you should be able to get a job if you put your mind to it. Maybe you can work for a while and then reapply to grad school; I'm sure a few years of work experience could not hurt your resume. I hope everything works out for you.

Best,

Matt