US vs. European Master's entry selectivity

Osammot

Question

Hello,

I've searched around for answers to my question but haven't been able to find a general comparison. I'll explain briefly my situation to clarify what I'm looking for. 

I studied Liberal Arts in the Netherlands. My major was Philosophy, although a great part of my studies was History based. Essentially, I had some pretty severe psychological issues which got pretty bad during my second year. These included panic attacks (I was rushed to the hospital from class as I though I was having a heart attack), severe anxiety, which brought me to be exempted from giving presentations as I was literally incapable of speaking to students I didn't know. With this came acute depression and demotivation, obviously affecting my grades. In my third semester, i got a ridiculously low 2.15 GPA. I managed somewhat to sort out my issues in my second year, thus my grade record is as follows: 3rd Sem. - 2.12, 4th Sem. - 2.8, Final year - 3.45. Overall GPA - 2.99 (!!!!)

I have spoken with faculty members at my University, and they told me that according to them, I should be able to successfully apply for Master's to top-mid universities such as SOAS, King's London etc. as long as I provide medical statements that prove my condition. I also would be able to demonstrate that my low GPA was greatly affected by poor grades in easy classes in my second year, whilst I improved significantly in my 3rd year advanced courses.

On the other hand, it seems like my situation is pretty bleak. I really want to further my studies, but am not willing to settle for a low standard University. I was wondering if anyone has experience in applying both to US and European Universities and can compare their impressions on Master's selectivity. I've read through several blogs, where people hinted towards Master's in good US Universities being easier to get into (I do not need funding) as opposed to the UK or Europe. 

If there's anyone who's got experience with US applications, or knows of a post addressing this question, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet