Wrong score reported on application

Lauren the Librarian

Today was orientation for new students, faculty introductions, food, advising, etc, for a program I applied to for Spring 2010. While my academic advisor and I were going over my application (so he could get to know me a bit) I noticed that my reported GRE score was not my highest nor my most recent score, nor even the first score (I took the GRE 4 times). I know the school received the later (and highest) test score because the university website showed the score in late August before the application deadline of 1 September 2009. I got in to the program anyway but it worries me because I've applied to another program and thought maybe they have the wrong score too? Eeek!

I guess I can call the new department to see what my score is reported as. But I'm wondering if anyone had a similar experience?

Today was orientation for new students, faculty introductions, food, advising, etc, for a program I applied to for Spring 2010. While my academic advisor and I were going over my application (so he could get to know me a bit) I noticed that my reported GRE score was not my highest nor my most recent score, nor even the first score (I took the GRE 4 times). I know the school received the later (and highest) test score because the university website showed the score in late August before the application deadline of 1 September 2009. I got in to the program anyway but it worries me because I've applied to another program and thought maybe they have the wrong score too? Eeek!

I guess I can call the new department to see what my score is reported as. But I'm wondering if anyone had a similar experience?

I've heard that many universities take the average of all your scores. ETS makes available to them all your scores (that are still valid).

I've heard that many universities take the average of all your scores. ETS makes available to them all your scores (that are still valid).

Thanks for the reply. I called the department and they confirmed the correct score (most recent/highest). That's a relief. The other department had the scores from my third (and not fourth) attempt at the GRE and it wasn't an average. My best guess for why it had the third score is that is has something to do with when the online system "sent [my] application to the graduate committee for review".

I'm glad I have the right score now (of course), because the program I'm applying to requires a Verbal score of 630. My previous score was 570, but my most recent/highest was 680. See why I would freak? :)